What do You See? Brain Game Test - News.com.au

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary: If you try looking about 10 cm to the left. When I do that, she goes counter-clockwise. Then move your eyes to the shadow, and she pops back to... clockwise.
~christina~
Gold Member
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html?from=mostpop

I personally see it going counter clockwise which means I have absolutely no imagination and am left brained and this might explain how I can only draw by technically photocopying a picture into my brain and then producing that on paper as an enlarged or reduced size picture with a pencil but have absolutely no capability to "create" a cartoon or person picture on my own.

They say you can go and reverse the way the person is spinning but it's just not feasible to my brain.

so..what do you see?

help in determining what you are seeing below:
http://www.whatapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/app_ss_the_brain_game_2.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is weird, i was sat here thinking it is going anti clockwise how can anyone see it differently, when it started to go clockwise for a few seconds then reverted to anti clock wise.
I have to go to the doctors tomorrow anyway.

I can see it go both ways. Just keep looking at it, and you'll see it switch directions

Oh good, glad I wasent the only one one seeing it fo both ways. The switch sort of startled me.

I took this test to check my brain out.

http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com/vancouver/left_right/rb_results.pl [Broken]

I am 52 left 48 right.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant see how anyone could see it going clockwise, its clearly anti clockwise :confused:

Clockwise...I can't see it any other way.

But my connection must be poor, since she keeps pausing for a second or two.

Update: I just looked again, but not directly at her...and she switched directions for a few seconds! How bizzarre!

I can see both.

I can see both but in reality - this is bollocks.

It IS actually clockwise if your brain takes into account all the detail - specifically, the shadow. It's impossible for the shadow to act like that if she's spinning anti-clockwise regardless of the light source.

The image isn't spinning but doing a weird sort of flip.

It didn't reverse while I was looking at it, but every time I looked away for a few seconds it changed. I'm ambidextrous, though, so I don't have a hemisphere dominance.

I saw big boobies. (going clockwise).

I see a beautiful woman dancing. She smiles as she beckons me to unimaginable pleasures. I reach out ... wait here comes my wife. I see a shadow sometimes turning clockwise, sometime anticlockwise. Has the old bat left yet?

didn't someone post this thing before?

anyway, I can make it go either way as I choose. I'm left handed; I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

dst said:
It IS actually clockwise if your brain takes into account all the detail - specifically, the shadow. It's impossible for the shadow to act like that if she's spinning anti-clockwise regardless of the light source.
Good point! The shadow breaks the degeneracy. I can only picture her going clockwise (looking from above), but absent the shadow, I know that she can be just as easily pictured going counter-clockwise. Still, after a minute or so of trying (with the shadow hidden), I couldn't get myself to picture a counter-clockwise rotation.

PS: See also: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/fcs_hollow-face/index.html

Last edited:
I can see it going either direction, with just a little bit of concentration.

I generally see it clockwise based on right leg extended, and for balance one would turn clockwise. If left leg was extended (and body tilted accordingly), then it would appear counter-clockwise.

If I look at it, I can actually see it going either way, but ccw just looks weird and unnatural.

Nicely proportioned - btw. :biggrin:

I stared at it a good five or six minutes and don't understand how anyone can see it spinning counter-clockwise. Her right arm and right leg is bent at approximately a 45° angle. That same arm and leg appears on her right side and continues to swing around to the front, then continues to left and back around again... clockwise.

If she was appearing to spin counterclockwise, wouldn't her limbs be moving from left to right when she is facing the viewer?

B. Elliott said:
I stared at it a good five or six minutes and don't understand how anyone can see it spinning counter-clockwise. Her right arm and right leg is bent at approximately a 45° angle. That same arm and leg appears on her right side and continues to swing around to the front, then continues to left and back around again... clockwise.

If she was appearing to spin counterclockwise, wouldn't her limbs be moving from left to right when she is facing the viewer?

Try looking about 10 cm to the left. When I do that, she goes counter-clockwise. Then move your eyes to the shadow, and she pops back to clockwise.

Look at one of the legs of the rotating figure.

Once you are convinced that she is rotating clockwise, or anticlockwise, say to yourself "in front, behind; in front, behind;..." as that leg goes first in front of and then behind the other one.

Then deliberately reverse the spoken sequence, i.e. "in front, behind; in front, behind; behind, in front; behind, in front;..."

Say it convincingly enough and the figure will rotate in the opposite direction!

Garth

Last edited:
dst said:
I can see both but in reality - this is bollocks.

The image isn't spinning but doing a weird sort of flip.

?? what's impossible about the counter-clockwise spin? her posture seems a little awkward CCW, but as an object I don't see the impossibility (it doesn't have to be a shadow, maybe it's a very opaque black object, or a high-contrast picture with the light source behind the object). both CW and CCW spins work equally well for me.

EDIT: anyone else here would really like to meet whomever modeled for this picture. she looks hot :!)

Last edited:
lisab said:
Try looking about 10 cm to the left. When I do that, she goes counter-clockwise. Then move your eyes to the shadow, and she pops back to clockwise.

That did it! It's definitely one of the weirder illusions I've seen. The counter motion does seem a little strange with the way she's positioned... that's probably what kept me seeing it that way. I didn't even notice the shadow until darklight mentioned it.

A really good Scientific American I have (maybe July or Aug '07) went in depth into optical illusions and how the eye shutters and scans objects to update optical info. It also showed a few neat tricks... disappearing dots, color changing rings, wave patters that seem to move as you move your eyes over it. Neat stuff.

Like these?

veryodd1kb.jpg

try to count the black dots

blackdots4mi.gif

Last edited:
Evo said:
try to count the black dots

blackdots4mi.gif

This is a good one----

I'd like to see it used by the cops as a sobriety test

--------------

The black 'dots' disappear after a few seconds if you keep your eyes on 'one' white 'dot' for that few seconds

Last edited:
Evo said:
Like these?

no... those are way more intense! I think I'm starting to feel a little sick. lol.

Is any of that left brain right brain stuff true?

Is its direction determinant of which side of the brain you use? Are the characteristics true?

moe darklight said:
?? what's impossible about the counter-clockwise spin? her posture seems a little awkward CCW, but as an object I don't see the impossibility (it doesn't have to be a shadow, maybe it's a very opaque black object, or a high-contrast picture with the light source behind the object). both CW and CCW spins work equally well for me.
The shadow is the thing on the floor, below her. It breaks the CW, CCW degeneracy.

CINA said:
Is any of that left brain right brain stuff true?

Is its direction determinant of which side of the brain you use? Are the characteristics true?
I seriously doubt it. I removed the left side of my brain, but it had no effect on my thought process.
Then I removed the right side. Still nothing.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
The shadow is the thing on the floor, below her. It breaks the CW, CCW degeneracy.

I get a smile out of it for the idea that they even included the nipples

She was going clockwise for at least two minutes before I could get her to go CCW. My boss saw her going CCW first, but was easily able to get her to flip. Another female in my office saw her going CCW first too. I wasn't able to make her "flip" until I was reading the left brain/right brain traits.

You men are funny.

I can't seem to make it appear counter-clockwise. It's REALLY solid clockwise to my brain.

Gokul43201 said:

haha didn't even notice that shadow. I remember I saw this show about the brain on Discovery Channel. They were talking about how the brain processes what you see, and they showed you this complicated card trick that you have to pay close attention to. Meanwhile, as they switch from angle to angle the background changes colors, the magician changes clothes, even the table on which he is doing the trick changes... of course the whole point is that most people don't notice all this is going on because you are so concentrated on his hands doing the trick.

must admit it blew my mind that I didn't notice all this was happening before my eyes when it looked so obvious when they replayed the clip.

jimmysnyder said:
I seriously doubt it. I removed the left side of my brain, but it had no effect on my thought process.
Then I removed the right side. Still nothing.

:rofl:

I can get her to change directions. Focus on the part between her bottom foot and her shadow.

oh wow...I couldn't figure it out how you got it to go the other direction and then it was weird, because I scrolled down the page and just looked at her feet spinning and then I concentrated and lo and behold it turned the other direction...the strange part is I could sort of feel my brain changing either focus or sides?! but it only lasted for about 2-3 spins and then she or my brain decided to make her go the anticlockwise way. (yes I sound loony now)

I seriously think that my brain likes the logic part better...

I now think that I'm fighting with my brain...I have to REALLY concentrate and try to make her go the other direction...and it was sad how I lost concentration within half a spin and she went the other way...internal struggles...

<h2>1. What is "What do You See? Brain Game Test - News.com.au"?</h2><p>"What do You See? Brain Game Test - News.com.au" is a brain teaser game created by the news website News.com.au. It presents the player with a series of images and challenges them to find hidden objects or patterns within the images.</p><h2>2. How does the game work?</h2><p>The game presents the player with a series of images, each with a specific challenge or task to complete. The player must use their observational and critical thinking skills to find hidden objects or patterns within the images. They can click on the objects or patterns to complete the challenge and move on to the next level.</p><h2>3. Is the game scientifically proven to improve brain function?</h2><p>While playing brain teaser games like "What do You See? Brain Game Test" can be a fun way to exercise your brain, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that they can significantly improve brain function. However, regularly engaging in activities that challenge your brain can help maintain cognitive function as you age.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to playing this game?</h2><p>Playing "What do You See? Brain Game Test" can help improve your visual perception skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities. It can also be a fun and engaging way to pass the time and challenge yourself.</p><h2>5. Are there any tips for playing the game?</h2><p>To improve your performance in the game, try to focus on one image at a time and take your time to carefully observe all the details. Also, don't get discouraged if you can't find all the hidden objects or patterns in a particular image - it's okay to take breaks and come back to it later. Finally, remember to have fun and enjoy the challenge!</p>

1. What is "What do You See? Brain Game Test - News.com.au"?

"What do You See? Brain Game Test - News.com.au" is a brain teaser game created by the news website News.com.au. It presents the player with a series of images and challenges them to find hidden objects or patterns within the images.

2. How does the game work?

The game presents the player with a series of images, each with a specific challenge or task to complete. The player must use their observational and critical thinking skills to find hidden objects or patterns within the images. They can click on the objects or patterns to complete the challenge and move on to the next level.

3. Is the game scientifically proven to improve brain function?

While playing brain teaser games like "What do You See? Brain Game Test" can be a fun way to exercise your brain, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that they can significantly improve brain function. However, regularly engaging in activities that challenge your brain can help maintain cognitive function as you age.

4. Are there any benefits to playing this game?

Playing "What do You See? Brain Game Test" can help improve your visual perception skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities. It can also be a fun and engaging way to pass the time and challenge yourself.

5. Are there any tips for playing the game?

To improve your performance in the game, try to focus on one image at a time and take your time to carefully observe all the details. Also, don't get discouraged if you can't find all the hidden objects or patterns in a particular image - it's okay to take breaks and come back to it later. Finally, remember to have fun and enjoy the challenge!