Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you support?

1. Ban all private gun ownership [more or less]

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Abortion made illegal

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Amnesty for illegal aliens

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Allow domestic wire taps without oversight

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Strong environmental protection laws

39 vote(s)
    65.0%
  6. Mostly unregulated imports and trade

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. Elimination of the National debt

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  8. Throw out the existing tax structure

30 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Increase taxes on the rich

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  10. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which positions or agendas do you support [U.S.]?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Several of those were too vague or too specific (simplistic) to really answer, but depending on the specifics of the proposals, I might support any of the last 5.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    Yes, quite vague, but that never stopped me before. I support the following:

Abortion made illegal
    Amnesty for illegal aliens
    Strong environmental protection laws
    Mostly unregulated imports and trade
    Throw out the existing tax structure
    Increase taxes on the rich

5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    One big 'IF' here is whether you mean state law or federal law. The Articles of Confederation and the U.S. Constitution made very clear what the people wanted--state sovereignty, and with the purpose of the federal government strictly to protect that state sovereignty and nothing else.

95% of what the current U.S. Federal Government does is unconstitutional. Most or all of these issues in this poll are up to the states. In fact, it is the state's DUTY to defy the federal government when it violates the Constitution. This is why I hope politically minded people stop thinking of state politics as boring and of little consequence, when, in fact, the only way to keep the federal government in check is with state governments willing to stand up against it, like when California defies federal marijuana laws.

So because of the current power grab of the federal government, I find it wiser to give states more power than either the people or the federal government. A pure libertarian gives freedom to the people, then state, then fed, in that order. I give it to states, then people, then fed... until the federal government gets back in line. I do this because states have a lot more power to subdue the federal government (by defying it) than do the people, so states must have more power at the moment. Besides, people have freedom to move to a different state if they don't like the state they live in. Its the free market in the political arena.

I decided to assume you meant state law for this poll. Here's how I believe:

NO - Ban all private gun ownership [more or less]
    YES - Abortion made illegal
    DEPENDS - Amnesty for illegal aliens
    NO - Allow domestic wire taps without oversight
    DEPENDS - Strong environmental protection laws
    YES - Mostly unregulated imports and trade
    YES - Elimination of the National debt
    YES (FairTax) - Throw out the existing tax structure
    NO - Increase taxes on the rich

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you specify what you didn't understand?

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

Evo

I strongly support abortion being legal.

8. Dec 6, 2007 #7
    Ivan, does the [U.S.] clause in the poll question mean that the question is directed only at US citizens? Or is it directed at everyone ABOUT the US?

Meanwhile...

Ban all private gun ownership [more or less] - still undecided
    Abortion made illegal - no, why?
    Amnesty for illegal aliens - some, not total
    Allow domestic wire taps without oversight - allow NOTHING without oversight
    Strong environmental protection laws - strongER within reason
    Mostly unregulated imports and trade - remove tariff but retain health/safety requirements
    Elimination of the National debt - definitely
    Throw out the existing tax structure - replaced by what?
    Increase taxes on the rich - flat income/sales tax for all, no exception

9. Dec 6, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you make abortion illegal? To me that is nonsensical-- do people not have the freedom of choice in your vision of society?

10. Dec 6, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was intended for the US and US citizens but it doesn't really matter. Everyone has a voice here. :biggrin:

11. Dec 6, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I support giving maps to all the U.S. Americans who can't afford them.

12. Dec 6, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted none of the above, but might support a few of those depending on how they were accomplished or what they were replaced with (i.e., environmental protection laws, and the last three).

13. Dec 6, 2007 #12
    Ban all private gun ownership [more or less] -- No, but ammunition should be much more expensive.
    Abortion made illegal -- Hell No, I'm not about to butcher women's rights in exchange for something that may become be a human being one day. At least Two-Thirds of Blastocysts flush away with the next period anyway, so by the logic most anti-abortionists produce God agrees with me.
    Amnesty for illegal aliens -- We are supposed to be the great melting pot. Rather a dozen guilty go free then one innocent suffer and all that rot.
    Allow domestic wire taps without oversight -- **** No. This is alone would make the Bush administration deserving of a human rights abuse trial in my humble opinion.
    Strong environmental protection laws -- Since most the counter arguements seem based on appeals to human greed and stupidity I'm going to have to agree. I don't feel particularly attached to nature either but at least there's something better being appealled to.
    Mostly unregulated imports and trade -- I was going to say yes, but my regulations while simple are to broad to say yes in good conscience. Nothing coming in or going out to countries whose governments are known for human rights abuses. Also, nothing coming in that would qualify as a human rights abuse- like liquid mercury laced candy.
    Elimination of the National debt -- The fact that we even have one as large is evidence of corruption and wanton greed in my mind.
    Throw out the existing tax structure -- Basically a Flat tax for all.
    Increase taxes on the rich -- No loopholes that the rich can really exploit in the flat tax so in effect it would be a massive tax increase, although technically on paper it would look like a cut.

14. Dec 6, 2007 #13
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 6, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Running for Miss...um...I think I need a map to remember what you'd be "Miss" of? :biggrin:

16. Dec 6, 2007 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Huh. Making abortion illegal is more predominant than I would have expected.

17. Dec 6, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Miss Cartographer

18. Dec 6, 2007 #17

Evo

US Americans, as opposed to the South African Americans or the The Iraq Americans. :rofl:

19. Dec 6, 2007 #18

Astronuc

Mischief! :biggrin:

20. Dec 6, 2007 #19

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are we looking at the same poll?

21. Dec 6, 2007 #20

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm more surprised about the lack of support to eliminate national debt :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?