Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you think about the civilization in Mars,if there was any?

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I think that NASA has found some facts that there was civilization in Mars, and I think they are hiding them, why for , I don't know, what do you think, would there be any "political or social changes" if they make those facts public, argument your answers...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Yes! It's all a government conspiracy! They know that there are aliens on Mars but they won't make it public because if they did then conspiracy theorists would suddenly have A LOT more credibility and people would start listening to the truth and stop believing all the government Propoganda! RISE UP MY COUNTRYMEN! WE MUST DESTROY THE MARTIANS! AAAAAHHH

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Oh, IVAN!!!!!

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    We were the martians, we came here long ago from mars because we screwed that planet up and we figured we should be able to do the same to earth in half the time.

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Tough to know what you would base that on - if the facts are hidden, how do you know?

In any case, I've read a lot of Hoagland's nonsense and it is just that: nonsense. It would have to improve significantly before I'd even consider it an absurd conspiracy theory.
    Since the first part is so rediculous, this part is meaningless. But I think the public would accept without much controversy (except from the ultra-religious) a discovery of primitive microbial life on Mars (which still may happen).

7. Mar 16, 2005 #6
    Is there a website with good readable content for these ideas? Ive been searching but havent found any worth diging through to read any decent content.

8. Mar 16, 2005 #7

russ_watters

9. Mar 16, 2005 #8
  10. Mar 16, 2005 #9
    Im a frequent visitor of bad astronomy. I was more interested in reading crackpot theories such as these. I find them entertaining when im hung over for some reason.

11. Mar 16, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Here is Hoagldand's website: http://www.enterprisemission.com/ Good luck! :yuck:

12. Mar 16, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin:

It gets better. George Noory's listeners [coasttocoastam.com] were told that Hoagland was in the running to head NASA!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I could hardly keep my composure.

There are limits to what conspiracies are possible. The idea of government silence and obfuscation regarding UFOs is one thing. I'm not sure what to think about that but there are many formerly high ranking intelligence officers and others, and documents, that support these claims. But this whole business about Mars is just too far out to believe. And there is virtually nothing credible to support any of it.

Also, is it just me or is Hoagland's voice abrasive.

13. Mar 16, 2005 #12
    I listen to Coast to Coast pretty regularly. I'm to the point now that I can identify his voice almost instantly when I turn on the radio, and yes it makes me cringe too.

14. Mar 16, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Were you on the edge of your seat waiting to see if Hoagland would head up NASA? :biggrin: I couldn't believe that Noory would push that. He really can't think that people believe this, can he? Are that many people even more gullable than I think, or is Noory just too dimwitted to know the difference?

15. Mar 16, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh man, Hoagland is on tonight. If you want to hear the fringe of the fringe of the fringe, tune in at 10PM PST. He is on from 10 to 11:00. Go to http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

16. Mar 16, 2005 #15
    LOL! The way it has seemed to me is that George plays dumb alot and caters to what his audience wants to hear. Art has the more masculine voice and so he plays it a bit more sceptical. George has that sappy boyish voice and so he plays to that. You can still catch him every now and again subtly poking fun of some of the people though.

17. Mar 16, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really I am being a unfair to George. In the beginning I thought he was a complete idiot but I must admit that he has his good moments.

18. Mar 25, 2005 #17
    What's ironic is that if you the read bad astronomy website, the author concedes that Hoagldand did a thorough job of debunking the moon myth and he was even corrected by him. Strange isn't it.

19. Mar 27, 2005 #18

russ_watters

Huh? Citation?

20. Mar 27, 2005 #19
    I'd like to know what you mean by "moon myth". If you mean that the moon landing was a hoax then Hoagland being involved in that wouldn't suprise me. I recently realized the close parallel between the way Hoagland uses virtually nothing but photographs as "proof" and the "moon hoax" people harp hendlessly on the "photographic evidence" and have little else to back themselves up with.

21. Mar 28, 2005 #20

russ_watters

Yes, Hoagland is involved in the moon hoax hoax. That's discussed on BadAstronomy as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?