What do you think about time travelling.

• Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: But if a "state" is a complete description of conditions at a given time, it should include the information that the time traveller is present.
parshyaa
is it possible to travel in time, what are some concepts, theories which are yet to be explore to know more about time travelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this in General Discussion forum? And have you done a search on this very topic for the numerous threads already posted in this forum?

Zz.

Likes davenn
Since it is impossible, I don't think of it at all.

Likes davenn
Kevin McHugh said:
Since it is impossible, I don't think of it at all.

It is possible! The twin paradox is a perfectly valid way to travel time. Just because we understand it, doesn't mean that it's not time travel. And traveling backwards in time is not contradicting any physics either.

micromass said:
It is possible! The twin paradox is a perfectly valid way to travel time. Just because we understand it, doesn't mean that it's not time travel. And traveling backwards in time is not contradicting any physics either.

In the twin paradox, the twin leaves in the present and returns to the present. Only the passage of time was different for the twins.

I forget where I read it, but it was explicitly stated that time travel is impossible, perhaps due to entropy. In Feynman diagrams, antiparticles travel backward in time, but I expect this mere convention.

Kevin McHugh said:
In the twin paradox, the twin leaves in the present and returns to the present. Only the passage of time was different for the twins.

It is possible in principle to leave, to travel for 1 second, come back and be 5000 years in the future. That's time travel no?

Likes EnumaElish
micromass said:
It is possible in principle to leave, to travel for 1 second, come back and be 5000 years in the future. That's time travel no?

I'm curious, how can this be done?

Kevin McHugh said:
I'm curious, how can this be done?

Time dilation. Just travel for one second for a speed sufficiently close to light. On earth, 5000 years will pass, while for you it looks like 1 second.

Likes EnumaElish
micromass said:
Time dilation. Just travel for one second for a speed sufficiently close to light. On earth, 5000 years will pass, while for you it looks like 1 second.

How would you accelerate an object to a fraction of the speed of light, slow it down, turn it around and accelerate it back to earth, and slow it down once again, all in one second?

Kevin McHugh said:
How would you accelerate an object to a fraction of the speed of light, slow it down, turn it around and accelerate it back to earth, and slow it down once again, all in one second?

That's an engineering problem. Physics says it's possible.

Likes Ryan_m_b and EnumaElish
micromass said:
That's an engineering problem. Physics says it's possible.

What about the forces on the body? That's a physics problem.

I consider it an engineering problem. Of course we can't time travel right now. But saying that the physics laws forbid it, that's false. It's very likely we'll never be able to do it though.

And sure, you're probably right that the forces on the human body forbid this kind of thing. But where do you draw the line: traveling 5000 years in 1 second is not possible. But traveling 2 seconds in 1 second might be more feasible. Travelling 1.001 seconds in 1 second maybe even more. Where do you draw the line as to what is time travel and what is not? I consider them all to be time travel.

Likes EnumaElish
Kevin McHugh said:
"Solar" (i. e. stellar) sails. Although it'd take considerably longer than a second. The current engineering problem isn't achieving a significant fraction of light speed, it is escaping or resisting micro collisions with cosmic dust or anything larger.

Last edited:
We are all time traveling with respect to another (e. g. the aliens) all the time.

micromass said:

As a question of terminology, what is the definition of "state" when we refer to "travelling backward in time" ? - which presumably means traveling to some previous "state" of a system in time.

The various popular depictions of traveling backward in time have the time traveller arrive at some state in the past where he is a novelty, or can see his younger self or a deceased relative etc. But if a "state" is a complete description of conditions at a given time, it should include the information that the time traveller is present. So if the traveller travels backward to some state in time where "state" refers to a complete description of things, it is a state where he was present at that time. Of course, we can imagine that in the state of the world at the present moment there are time travellers from the future among us, but this seems outside the scope of the twin paradox.

So, paying attention to the definition of "state", isn't there a distinction between the twin paradox and a scenario where a person would travel backward in time ? Or is the notion of "twin" supposed to invite some limiting argument where person T only differs from his twin by epsilon and we can let epsilon go to zero and argue that T can meet up with himself ?

parshyaa said:
what do you think about time traveling.
I enjoy it, but I wish I could do it a little slower.

Likes OCR, EnumaElish, collinsmark and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I enjoy it, but I wish I could do it a little slower.
uh huh, I am convinced that the years seem to go by faster than they used to :-p

Likes OCR
davenn said:
uh huh, I am convinced that the years seem to go by faster than they used to :-p
No they are not, you are going slower than you used to.

Likes OCR, davenn and russ_watters
rootone said:
No they are not, you are going slower than you used to.

naaa, life is just passing quicker, everything is at a more hectic rate than 30 - 40 yrs ago. :frown:

1. What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either forward or backward. It is often depicted in science fiction as a way to visit the past or future.

2. Is time travel possible?

There is currently no scientific evidence that time travel is possible. While some theories, such as wormholes, suggest that it could be possible, there are many challenges and limitations that would need to be overcome.

3. Can time travel change history?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists and philosophers. Some believe that any changes made in the past would create a ripple effect and alter the present, while others argue that the past is already set and any attempts to change it would be futile.

4. How would time travel affect the future?

If time travel were possible, it could have significant impacts on the future. For example, changing events in the past could create a different timeline and potentially alter the future. It could also raise ethical questions about altering the course of history.

5. What are the potential dangers of time travel?

Aside from the ethical implications, time travel could have potential dangers such as creating paradoxes or disrupting the natural progression of time. It could also have unintended consequences that could negatively impact the future.