What do you think of a reaction motor that works only with spinning pistons?

In summary, the conversation discussed a device involving two counter-rotating cylinders, one represented by a cigarette. The idea was to use centrifugal force to pull the object in one direction and create balance in the other half of the rotation. The speaker had a similar idea in high school but found that it balanced out when constructed. They were interested in building the device but were unsure how due to the asymmetric movement. Another person suggested using three gears with offset weights to achieve a similar effect and suggested testing it. The conversation ended with someone mentioning a new idea involving counter-rotating cylinders.
antonio gonzalez
ill explain how it works:
two cilinders are counter rotative now ill explain what it does one of them represented by a cigarete or similar

take the cigarete by the center with the filter aiming at 9 oclock, spin it holding it by the center till the filter points at 3 oclock (going counterwise)

them from 3 to 12 move your hold to the cigarete from the center to the extreme(oposite to the filter) at the same time you spin it till 12

then fom 12 to 9 return the hold of the cigarete to the center and repit the process

you have centrifugal force that pulls the object on one side of the circle (from 3 to 9) and balance in the othe half (from 9 to 3)

what do you think?

who could i contact in order to build it with spinning piston cilinders? (the pistons would move and recenter the center of gravity from the spinning axe and to it

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a similar idea in high school; only done with three gears. I thought I would get a linear force that would tend to move the device in the direction of the offset of weight.

Turned out, when I constructed the device, that it exactly balanced. Took as much force to reset the weights as was provided by the offset. So my guess is that your device would balance, with no offset forces; if that was your assertion. :smile:

i would like to be able to build this to check myself but the problem is that this device is very difficult to build since has an asimetric movement because there's one half of turn acumulating momentum and the other half making all the movement of the piston,
you couldn't posibly have built this device in high school only similar as you say

the problem is that this would contradict Newtons third principle but since there's no obvious mistake in my engine i think its worth the try

the problem is that i don't know how to build it

Take three gears 000 like the zeros. Put weights on the left-most and right-most gears so that the weights are offset to the right. Hold the middle gear and rotate the other two around it. You will see that the weights will be pointing to the right during the long stroke and to the left during the short stroke.

This gets you the same thing as slipping the cylinder in a rotating hub. All the peices you need are in a simple erictor set.

I don't think it will result in a linear force, but you need to try it. It is the only way you'll ever know for sure.

Vern

1. How does a reaction motor that works with spinning pistons differ from traditional motors?

A reaction motor that works with spinning pistons is different from traditional motors in that it does not rely on combustion to generate power. Instead, it utilizes the principle of conservation of angular momentum to produce thrust.

2. What are the advantages of using a reaction motor with spinning pistons?

One major advantage of using a reaction motor with spinning pistons is that it does not produce any harmful emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, it can be more efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional motors.

3. Can a reaction motor with spinning pistons be used for space exploration?

Yes, reaction motors with spinning pistons have been used in space exploration. They are commonly used in spacecraft for attitude control and maneuvering, as well as in satellite propulsion systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using a reaction motor with spinning pistons?

One limitation of using a reaction motor with spinning pistons is that it requires a significant amount of energy to spin the pistons at high speeds, which can make it less practical for certain applications. It also has a lower thrust-to-weight ratio compared to other types of motors.

5. What advancements have been made in the development of reaction motors with spinning pistons?

In recent years, there have been advancements in the design and materials used in reaction motors with spinning pistons, making them more efficient and compact. There has also been research into using alternative energy sources, such as solar power, to spin the pistons and reduce the energy requirements.