What do you think of the Canadians on PF?

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation explores the topic of the differences between Americans and Canadians, and how that can lead to feelings of animosity. The original speaker expresses mild animosity towards most Canadians, but also acknowledges that there are exceptions. The conversation then delves into the definition of "Asian-style" and what it means to be Canadian or American. It is suggested that the animosity may stem from personal perspectives rather than cultural differences. The conversation ends with a plea to unite as humans and not judge others based on their nationality.

How do you feel about Canadians on PF

• They're awsome

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • They suck

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No strong opinion

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • What's a Canadian?

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smurf
Me? I generally find myself feeling mild animosity towards most of them. With a few exceptions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
Me? I generally find myself feeling mild animosity towards most of them. With a few exceptions.
what exceptions ?
I personally find them to be a bit more of Asian style in some ways, with a few exceptions, those who live near the Can-US border.

What does Asian-style mean? :confused:

What's a Canadian?

why can:t you just answer my question to you first ?

Ok, It means 20% of their lifestyle and especially ways they behave and talk is just similar to those of Asian people, am I wrong ?

Are Chinese really that good in Canada and the US ? I doubt really much about this.

I'm not going to say who I like because then I'll insult everyone else. Danger is one of the few that has earned my respect though, better than that last quebecois kid who was here.
Emieno said:
Ok, It means 20% of their lifestyle and especially ways they behave and talk is just similar to those of Asian people, am I wrong ?

Are Chinese really that good in Canada and the US ? I doubt really much about this.
Yeah, I think you are wrong, personally. I see huge differences between east asians and Canadians.

I asked so because I find that most of them occupy a lot of high positions in famous schools, organizations in North America, ...

Smurf said:
What does Asian-style mean? :confused:
Aheem, :blushing: :blushing:
No, I really can't say what it means..

what happened to the poll?

it's... right there...

Its spelled Canadicans... duh

This is opening up a can of whoopass... but it makes for good discussion. I don't think being Canadian has that much to do with it except for the fact that perhaps a lot of the topics that get discussed are American oriented and Canadians (who, no matter how closely related, are not part of the american system or specific way of life) will not be able to have more than an outsiders :) perspective. Therefore a lot of misunderstanding and oversimplified speak (cuz this is the Internet) will cause some emotions in some and thus the feeling of anamosity. I am new here, but I find that quite a few debates go off topic and become debates over individual credibility and it's very disappointing.

outsider said:
will cause some emotions in some and thus the feeling of anamosity. I am new here, but I find that quite a few debates go off topic and become debates over individual credibility and it's very disappointing.
But.. I'm Canadian too.

Smurf said:
But.. I'm Canadian too.

yes, I can see that... so my point is that - you don't know what it really means to be american, and therefore you will not be able to fully assess something from the outside looking in.

outsider said:
yes, I can see that... so my point is that - you don't know what it really means to be american, and therefore you will not be able to fully assess something from the outside looking in.
:confused: so... Americans are better at understanding Canadians than Canadians?

Or do you mean Americans get along with Canadians better than Canadians?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Smurf said:
:confused: so... Americans are better at understanding Canadians than Canadians?

Or do you mean Americans get along with Canadians better than Canadians?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

U are pretending to be confused, and that's just too bad :rolleyes:

As I stated earlier:

"alot of the topics that get discussed here (on PF) are American oriented issues and Canadians will not be able to have more than an outsiders :) perspective. "

therefore: how can one fully assess something from the outside looking in?

I've read your other posts, and perhaps the anomosity may stem from a personal perspective rather than a cultural one. It seems as you are one of the prominent Canadian threadmongers - since you can't change the past, maybe you might want to think about how you are representing your country in your future postings :zzz: gnite

outsider said:
I don't think being Canadian has that much to do with it except for the fact that perhaps a lot of the topics that get discussed are American oriented and Canadians (who, no matter how closely related, are not part of the american system or specific way of life) will not be able to have more than an outsiders :) perspective. Therefore a lot of misunderstanding and oversimplified speak (cuz this is the Internet) will cause some emotions in some and thus the feeling of anamosity.

I got a misunderstanding for ya. What does this have to do with liking Canadians? Sure SOME Canadians will come in and act like they know more about America then Americans do... but why would that make you feel bad or good about em. Sure it can be considered a "trait"... but there's so many other traits that tell you more about what kind of person it is your talking to. Grammar nazis piss me off to a whole new level compared to Canadians. Plus of course there's the trait where people can turn any simple or humorous topic into a political thread. Boy do they ruin the day...*cough* Art *cough*.

And of course, why are we judging people based on where they live? Surely a few peoples mannerisms don't reflect an entire nation? Just because a few Brits think their breakfast and oddly named jams are the reason they are the greatest empire in history doesn't mean everyone thinks that way or acts that way. Just because a few French think they are one step above the evolutionary ladder then us "humans" doesn't mean everyone thinks that way. Just because a few Australians like basically any band that will go on Carson Daily's show doesn't mean their entire country is full of braindead slobs... although lately I've had my doubts :tongue2:

So let's all come together, tear down the walls of race and ethnicity and unite as the human race on this great planet Earth and let us forever criticize Australia's taste in music.

I really enjoy my Canidian friends here.

I vote last option. I didn't know there were Canadians over here...hahahaha! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who's Danger? :rofl:

Smurf said:
I'm not going to say who I like because then I'll insult everyone else.
But then you go right into saying who you like:
Danger is one of the few that has earned my respect though,
And who you don't:
better than that last quebecois kid who was here.
Maybe this pseudo-poll would better have been titled: "I Don't Like The Quebecois Kid."

Gee, I was looking forward to some good ol' Canadian bashing, but you guys have ruined the mood with all of this serious talk. :grumpy:

Let's have a north-american war now:
Maple syrup is better than a Big Mac..:approve:

Mr. Dressup kicks Mr. Rogers ass.

outsider said:
U are pretending to be confused, and that's just too bad :rolleyes:

As I stated earlier:

"alot of the topics that get discussed here (on PF) are American oriented issues and Canadians will not be able to have more than an outsiders :) perspective. "

therefore: how can one fully assess something from the outside looking in?

I've read your other posts, and perhaps the anomosity may stem from a personal perspective rather than a cultural one. It seems as you are one of the prominent Canadian threadmongers - since you can't change the past, maybe you might want to think about how you are representing your country in your future postings :zzz: gnite
No, really, I'm quite confused. Firstly I don't agree with you at all, secondly even if you are right what the hell does it have to do with my liking Canadians!? :confused:

And who you don't:
So? He's not here anymore so he's not going to bloody care now is he? Provided someone actually knows which quebecois kid I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
So let's all come together, tear down the walls of race and ethnicity and unite as the human race on this great planet Earth and let us forever criticize Australia's taste in music.

I couldn't agree more.

Smurf said:
No, really, I'm quite confused. Firstly I don't agree with you at all, secondly even if you are right what the hell does it have to do with my liking Canadians!? :confused:

to clarify your previous question... in general:

Canadians will know more about being / living in Canada than an American
Americans will know more about being / living in U.S. than a Canadian

I thought that was just obvious.

And who you like is your business... race and culture have nothing to do with who you can be friends with.

I though Smurf and Danger were from Tasmania, i don't know why. :confused:

wolram said:
I though Smurf and Danger were from Tasmania, i don't know why. :confused:
:rofl: Do I come across as Australian? I mean, I can see the connection with Danger, but not me.

But on the other hand i thought Lisa had escaped from Ivan seekings lab,
i will have to ask him is he has lost any thing.

(American) football is better than hockey. :approve:

I think Canadians are cute.

honestrosewater said:
(American) football is better than hockey. :approve:
That's such bullcrap.
Evo said:
I think Canadians are cute.
Well, at least this one is. (I have my doubts about Danger)

Maybe this pseudo-poll would better have been titled: "I Don't Like The Quebecois Kid."

We know that Western Canadians, Ontarians, Maratimers, Conservatives and Leafs fans don't like us. It's not secret, it's called jealousy. We're smarter than them, not to mention better looking. :rolleyes:

Provided someone actually knows which quebecois kid I'm talking about.

Yeah, cause this place is just running rampant with those damn Quebecois kids!
:grumpy: