Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you think?

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1
    from when i was 10-11 years old, i have been told that there was a big bang and the universe has been expanding because of it. but my curiosity grew and wanted to know what caused it. but i was surprised to know that 'nothing' happened before the big bang. as i know there is a cause for everything. but the big bang dosen't. i 'think' that the interaction of the particals and their antiparticles caused the annihilation which we call 'big bang'.(please correct me if i have not used the right terms or if it dosen't make sence. i'm 14 and am still learning.)
    please tell me what you think caused the big bang. your views.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2006 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's certainly an interesting question varsha! :smile:

However, there's pretty close to nothing - that I'm aware of - which you (or anyone on Earth) could do, today, with the technology we have (and the physics we've given gold stars to) that could seriously test anyone's ideas of any time 'before' the first Planck second (approx 10-43 of our ordinary seconds).

As to your idea about particle and anti-particle annihilation, well, the universe almost certainly went through a period when that happened (at least for the kinds of particles and anti-particles we know about), but it was well after the BB.

4. Jan 17, 2006 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The big bang certainly is a mystery. Just getting there - much less 'peeking' behind the Planck wall - is enormously difficult, as Nereid noted. You may find this interesting:

A Universe from Nothing
    http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/31_02/nothing.html

5. Jan 17, 2006 #4
    it was interesting... i'm sort of getting this feeling... either the universe came from nothing or there is some key to this which is very deep. it's like how a simple question like what made the apple fall?, had such a huge answer...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?