Should we have the right to kill animals?

• Thread starter Sassenav22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether humans have the right to kill animals just because they don't like them. The participants share their opinions on the matter, with some arguing that humans have the right to kill animals for various reasons such as food or protection, while others believe that unnecessary killing is not justified. The concept of animal rights is also brought up, with one participant mentioning a book that explores this topic. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the definition of "animal" and the reasons for killing them play a significant role in determining whether humans have the right to do so.
Sassenav22
My teacher asked me an interesting question.

Do we as human have the right to kill animals just because we don't like them?

what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
'Rights' are a human concept. People have them only because some of our governments say so. I don't personally believe in unnecessary killing, such as trophy hunting, but it's not my place to say whether or not someone else can. Without societal interference, someone can do absolutely whatever s/he wants to.

note: moved to Philosophy from Biology forum.

Well ... we have the 'right' to protect them as well.
Depends on the individual's opinion.

Why do you say we don't like them? I certainly enjoy a good steak!

Sassenav22 said:
My teacher asked me an interesting question.

Do we as human have the right to kill animals just because we don't like them?what do you think?

The thing is, the great majority of humans just don't do this. There are a great number of reasons for killing animals (for food, disease control, because they are nuisances, etc), but "just because we don't like them" is not one that is seen very often. Even a psychopath who kills and tortures animals might have reasons other than hatred of them, such as the pleasure derived from power over something weaker.

The most common examples I can bring to mind of humans killing animals "just because they don't like them" are instances of humans killing other humans. Bigotry and homophobia come to mind. But scratch the surface and you might find even deeper reasons (however illogical) that are the rationale for this violence. You can think over for yourself all the reasons someone of a particular race, sexual orientation, [insert group membership here] might be perceived as a threat by someone who is not a member of that group.

I am reading an interesting book right now on "animal rights and human morality" by Bernard Rollin. If you want to dig into that topic, it is an excellent and clear read. What he argues regarding animal rights is that the single, logically defensable right that they have is to be "objects of moral concern" by those capable of making moral decisions. In other words, they have the right for some careful thought and decision about their treatment and should not be cavalierly used as "means to an end" to suit our purposes.

Last edited:
Well, that all depends upon your definition of "animal". Is an insect an animal? If not, then yes you have the "right" to kill them. Killing pretty much anything else will get you thrown in jail for cruelty... even your own dog if the right people find out about it. As far as hunting goes, you can buy the right to kill CERTAIN animals by buying a license. This is mostly for sport and food, though.

1. What do you think is the biggest challenge in your field?

The biggest challenge in my field is constantly staying up-to-date with new advancements and technologies. Science is constantly evolving, and it is important to keep learning and adapting to new knowledge and methods.

2. How do you come up with ideas for your research?

I come up with ideas for my research by reading scientific literature, attending conferences and seminars, and collaborating with other scientists. I also draw inspiration from real-world problems and try to find solutions through my research.

3. How do you ensure the reliability of your results?

To ensure the reliability of my results, I follow strict protocols and use standardized methods in my experiments. I also replicate my experiments multiple times and compare my results with other studies in the field. Peer review and publication in reputable journals also help to validate the reliability of my research.

4. What do you do when your experiments don't go as planned?

When my experiments don't go as planned, I carefully analyze the data and try to identify any potential errors or confounding factors. I also consult with other experts in the field and brainstorm potential solutions. Failure in experiments is a normal part of the scientific process, and it often leads to new insights and discoveries.

5. How do you communicate your research to non-scientific audiences?

I communicate my research to non-scientific audiences by using clear and concise language, avoiding technical jargon, and providing relatable examples. I also use visual aids, such as graphs and diagrams, to help explain complex concepts. It is important to make science accessible and understandable to a wider audience to promote scientific literacy and understanding.