Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you want for Christmas?

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    Alright, so what is it that YOU are asking for/buying for yourself for Christmas (or any other holiday for that matter). Maybe some of us will get some good ideas from others on this board... :smile:

I'll start, woot.

A few Guns N' Roses CDs
    A couple Pink Floyd CDs
    The Feynman Lectures on Physics
    *BLANK STARE*

Can't think of anything else.... Maybe a green laser or something, although they're expensive and I wouldn't have much use for it.

What do YOUUUUUU want??????????????????///slash?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I could think of at least 50 things that I want, but the think I'd like the most is to get surprised. :smile: Man, I wish I was a kid again sometimes..I got surprised every single Christmas and it was great.

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    Sharing my Grandma's christmas cooking with the family. Seriously, I would give up all the gifts for some german christmas cooking!!!

But gift wise, I dunno. I really can't think of anything I need. Maybe a few good DVD's that I haven't seen yet. Something to keep me busy for a while.

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I believe you. The cooking is one of the most important parts. Long live the Grandmas! :smile:

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

mathbooks. in what other area can you get such a great present as say h.cartans books, complex variables and differential forms, for under $25 ?!!!

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't really know. I always struggle with this question every year, because I don't really need anything. Last year, my parents bought me a (much appreciated) 13W HID headlight for my bicycle, with a 1 lb. lithium-ion battery. It's brighter than a car headlight, virtually indestructible, and weighs almost nothing. In a word, it's perfect. I also just happened to find myself needing a real bike headlight right around the solstice, so it made sense.

This year, I don't know. Maybe I'll find myself needing socks desperately in a few weeks.

- Warren

8. Dec 10, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Socks, with little animals on them. The slipper socks are my favorites. Right now I have a blue one with penguins and a purple one with polar bears. I don't know ehere their mates went. :frown:

A microwave/convection combination oven. :!!)

A case of Acitifed. A lifetime supply of Puffs Con Locion.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  9. Dec 10, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the polar bears will eat the penguins and soon you'll just have a purple polar bear sock and a plain blue one.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  10. Dec 10, 2006 #9

Evo

I was thinking of naming them Pengwuino & Cyrus. :biggrin:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  11. Dec 10, 2006 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of books and a days peace and quiet from my kids (might have to take them into the woods and leave them there for awhile to get that one). My two front teeth and a Hippopotomus might be nice......

12. Dec 10, 2006 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want the Pipettes CD!

13. Dec 10, 2006 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want a hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop!

(Hrm, what am I missing?)

14. Dec 10, 2006 #13

Evo

I googled the dancing hippos from Fantasia, and this is what came up. :bugeye:

Sorry Hurkyl. :frown:

[​IMG]

15. Dec 10, 2006 #14
  16. Dec 10, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spandex should be banned for some people! :yuck:

I know what Hurkyl forgot...the hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop has to play the harmonica for Hannukah. :biggrin:

17. Dec 10, 2006 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree...

Happy Chrrstmahanakawanza .......and don't make me say it three time fast, it can't be done without offending the druids.

18. Dec 10, 2006 #17

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I bought ourselves a Smooth CE 3.2 elliptical trainer. Walking, cycling, and rowing kills my arthritic knees, and this machine is the best way to get a low-impact workout that leaves me wringing wet. NOTE: If you don't like assembling things, do not order this machine, or at least have a friend available to help you. The instructions said to have two people available. I did it myself but as my uncle used to say "this job takes two men, a boy, and a big dog".

19. Dec 10, 2006 #18
    I am getting myself a laptop as a gift to myself.... sparing St Clause this year for my next big wish for Christmas next year: A JOB!!! :cry:

20. Dec 11, 2006 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Every season of "The Wire." Really, there is no excuse for the fact that I don't already own these.

21. Dec 11, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would never bother my daughter. She never wears matching socks.

I always thought it was some kind of fashion statement and that she actually picked out which mismatched socks to wear together until one day she actually did have matching socks. When I asked her about it, she stared at them in amazement, "Holy Cow! What are the odds of that happening!?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?