What do you want for Christmas?

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary: I'll get a Kindle Fire.In summary, the person wants a few Guns N' Roses CDs, a couple Pink Floyd CDs, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, a green laser, Acitifed, socks, a microwave/convection combination oven, case of Acitifed, a laptop, and Spandex should be banned.
moose
Alright, so what is it that YOU are asking for/buying for yourself for Christmas (or any other holiday for that matter). Maybe some of us will get some good ideas from others on this board... :smile:

I'll start, woot.

A few Guns N' Roses CDs
A couple Pink Floyd CDs
The Feynman Lectures on Physics
*BLANK STARE*

Can't think of anything else... Maybe a green laser or something, although they're expensive and I wouldn't have much use for it.What do YOUUUUUU want?///slash?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could think of at least 50 things that I want, but the think I'd like the most is to get surprised. :smile: Man, I wish I was a kid again sometimes..I got surprised every single Christmas and it was great.

Sharing my Grandma's christmas cooking with the family. Seriously, I would give up all the gifts for some german christmas cooking!

But gift wise, I dunno. I really can't think of anything I need. Maybe a few good DVD's that I haven't seen yet. Something to keep me busy for a while.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Sharing my Grandma's christmas cooking with the family. Seriously, I would give up all the gifts for some german christmas cooking!

I believe you. The cooking is one of the most important parts. Long live the Grandmas! :smile:

mathbooks. in what other area can you get such a great present as say h.cartans books, complex variables and differential forms, for under $25 ?!

I don't really know. I always struggle with this question every year, because I don't really need anything. Last year, my parents bought me a (much appreciated) 13W HID headlight for my bicycle, with a 1 lb. lithium-ion battery. It's brighter than a car headlight, virtually indestructible, and weighs almost nothing. In a word, it's perfect. I also just happened to find myself needing a real bike headlight right around the solstice, so it made sense.

This year, I don't know. Maybe I'll find myself needing socks desperately in a few weeks.

- Warren

Socks, with little animals on them. The slipper socks are my favorites. Right now I have a blue one with penguins and a purple one with polar bears. I don't know ehere their mates went. :frown:

A microwave/convection combination oven. :!)

A case of Acitifed. A lifetime supply of Puffs Con Locion.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Socks, with little animals on them. The slipper socks are my favorites. Right now I have a blue one with penguins and a purple one with polar bears. I don't know ehere their mates went. :frown:

I think the polar bears will eat the penguins and soon you'll just have a purple polar bear sock and a plain blue one.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
I think the polar bears will eat the penguins and soon you'll just have a purple polar bear sock and a plain blue one.:smile:
I was thinking of naming them Pengwuino & Cyrus. :biggrin:

Last edited:
A couple of books and a days peace and quiet from my kids (might have to take them into the woods and leave them there for awhile to get that one). My two front teeth and a Hippopotomus might be nice...

I want the Pipettes CD!

I want a hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop!

(Hrm, what am I missing?)

Hurkyl said:
I want a hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop!
I googled the dancing hippos from Fantasia, and this is what came up. :bugeye:

Sorry Hurkyl. :frown:

hippodanceyf2.jpg

hahahaha...

Evo said:
I googled the dancing hippos from Fantasia, and this is what came up. :bugeye:

Spandex should be banned for some people! :yuck:

I know what Hurkyl forgot...the hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop has to play the harmonica for Hannukah. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Spandex should be banned for some people! :yuck:

I agree...

Moonbear said:
I know what Hurkyl forgot...the hippopotamus with two front teeth jumping through a hula hoop has to play the harmonica for Hannukah. :biggrin:

Happy Chrrstmahanakawanza ...and don't make me say it three time fast, it can't be done without offending the druids.

My wife and I bought ourselves a Smooth CE 3.2 elliptical trainer. Walking, cycling, and rowing kills my arthritic knees, and this machine is the best way to get a low-impact workout that leaves me wringing wet. NOTE: If you don't like assembling things, do not order this machine, or at least have a friend available to help you. The instructions said to have two people available. I did it myself but as my uncle used to say "this job takes two men, a boy, and a big dog".

I am getting myself a laptop as a gift to myself... sparing St Clause this year for my next big wish for Christmas next year: A JOB! :cry:

Every season of "The Wire." Really, there is no excuse for the fact that I don't already own these.

Evo said:
That would never bother my daughter. She never wears matching socks.

I always thought it was some kind of fashion statement and that she actually picked out which mismatched socks to wear together until one day she actually did have matching socks. When I asked her about it, she stared at them in amazement, "Holy Cow! What are the odds of that happening!?"

I just finished my christmas shopping, YAY!

I bought 9 things For me By me...
8 CDs and a dvd (Pulse, Pink Floyd's 1994 concert!)

I ordered everything off of Amazon.com, I also bought some stuff for my parents and my sister...and my dog! yay.

Every time I tell someone what I want for Christmas, they seem to back away slowly and talk really softly. :uhh: All I want for Christmas is a meat cleaver. :biggrin: (It might have been the evil cackle that went with the request that frightened the student who was assisting with surgery yesterday. :rolleyes: He asked.)

Actually, either a meat cleaver or a bread knife. I've never owned a meat cleaver, and every once in a while, it would be helpful in the kitchen (but was never on my priority list for the knives I bought for myself), and the bread knife I own is an old, cheap one that dulls too easily (and the serrated blade is a pain to try to sharpen, so I want a better one that will hold an edge longer).

You have to understand, Moonie, that if you bought an average woman a meat cleaver for Christmas, she would immediately stab you with it. And walk out. And slam the door.

- Warren

chroot said:
You have to understand, Moonie, that if you bought an average woman a meat cleaver for Christmas, she would immediately stab you with it. And walk out. And slam the door.

- Warren

Hmmph! Shows what you know! You can't stab someone with a meat cleaver, just hack off body parts. :rolleyes: :bugeye: Oh, maybe that's what he was afraid of? :biggrin:

I think my girlfriend could certainly find a way to stab me with a meat cleaver. Perhaps she'd invent one.

- Warren

chroot said:
I think my girlfriend could certainly find a way to stab me with a meat cleaver. Perhaps she'd invent one.

- Warren

:uhh: Perhaps you need a...less aggressive...girlfriend? :rofl:

I've been thinking about buying myself a backgammon set, but since I don't know how to play I think it could wait.

mattmns said:
I've been thinking about buying myself a backgammon set, but since I don't know how to play I think it could wait.

Perhaps you should buy a nice set for a friend who does know how to play and will teach you...that way you both get a gift out of it. :biggrin:

moose said:
Alright, so what is it that YOU are asking for/buying for yourself for Christmas (or any other holiday for that matter). Maybe some of us will get some good ideas from others on this board... :smile:

I'll start, woot.

A few Guns N' Roses CDs
A couple Pink Floyd CDs
The Feynman Lectures on Physics
*BLANK STARE*

Can't think of anything else... Maybe a green laser or something, although they're expensive and I wouldn't have much use for it.

What do YOUUUUUU want?///slash?

I want to learn some new math by myself.

I just want to go home and relax after finals. My christmas wish is to do well on my exams haha.

scorpa said:
My christmas wish is to do well on my exams haha.

That's my wish too, I had an exam today. But based on my previous experience, Christmas wishes based on doing well on exams never get granted, at least not in my case. Although I did fairly well today, I think. Anyway, good luck! :wink:

scorpa said:
I just want to go home and relax after finals. My christmas wish is to do well on my exams haha.
Good luck on that one! I don't know what the weather is at your home, but here, the temps are very conducive to dirt-bikes and ATVs. When I was your age (about 35 years back) my friends and I would be snowmobiling through the back-country of central Maine over the Christmas break. My dad bought a used Moto-Ski with a long track, and though it was not very fast, it made me pretty popular with my friends who had the fast machines that could not possibly break trail without getting buried. They b*tched about having to wait for me from time to time on well-traveled trails, but when there was fresh territory to explore, they made me go first.

PS - I hope you didn't get screwed on your car's insurance value and the value of your stolen personal items. Insurance companies make their sweetest margin by NOT PAYING, though most people have little appreciation for this. Have a nice holiday with your folks.

PPS - If Christmas is as warm as today was (without the rain) I will haul out the Softail and spread holiday cheer. One year my cousin's daughter (16 at the time) said that she wanted a bike ride instead of special Christmas foods (what we always did for her and her sister). The temperature was in the mid-40's, so I picked her up and we cruised 3 towns on a ~15 mile run on the old Wide-Glide. She was waving like a beauty-queen on a float (not far off in the looks department) and grinning like a possum all the way. We still had her favorite eggrolls and thin-crust pizza and her sister's favorite foods - the ride was a gift to me, too.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Good luck on that one! I don't know what the weather is at your home, but here, the temps are very conducive to dirt-bikes and ATVs. When I was your age (about 35 years back) my friends and I would be snowmobiling through the back-country of central Maine over the Christmas break. My dad bought a used Moto-Ski with a long track, and though it was not very fast, it made me pretty popular with my friends who had the fast machines that could not possibly break trail without getting buried. They b*tched about having to wait for me from time to time on well-traveled trails, but when there was fresh territory to explore, they made me go first.

Yeah we got quite a bit of snow right now so I won't be hauling out the dirtbike this Christmas ( I managed to last year though). I'll get the quad out and spin around in the snow with that for awhile though. Then I'm hoping to be able to borrow my dad's friends snowmobiles for a few days...that will be so much fun, I haven't been on a snowmobile in a long time. It will be a great holiday! :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
PS - I hope you didn't get screwed on your car's insurance value and the value of your stolen personal items. Insurance companies make their sweetest margin by NOT PAYING, though most people have little appreciation for this. Have a nice holiday with your folks.

Well, I don't remember if I said or not but they did find the car...it's a wreck but they are going to fix it. Should be done this week. If there is so much as one scratch on that car I will not sign for it. Dad is coming with me to deal with it so I don't have to worry to much. They will definitely not be getting away with not paying or fixing it properly. I'm still waiting on the money from the other stuff but the insurance adjustor has been pretty good with it so I'm not to worried.

turbo-1 said:
PPS - If Christmas is as warm as today was (without the rain) I will haul out the Softail and spread holiday cheer. One year my cousin's daughter (16 at the time) said that she wanted a bike ride instead of special Christmas foods (what we always did for her and her sister). The temperature was in the mid-40's, so I picked her up and we cruised 3 towns on a ~15 mile run on the old Wide-Glide. She was waving like a beauty-queen on a float (not far off in the looks department) and grinning like a possum all the way. We still had her favorite eggrolls and thin-crust pizza and her sister's favorite foods - the ride was a gift to me, too.

Sounds like a good plan, that would have been a great Christmas! A few years ago dad got his out for christmas and we went for a ride, it was awesome. I can't wait until January, the motorcycle show is coming and it is pretty much the highlight of winter for me. I think its called the International Motorcycle show, and I highly recommend going if you don't already and it comes somewhere near you :smile: Have an awesome Christmas :D

zoobyshoe said:
I'm looking for something along these lines:

http://a.im.craigslist.org/iC/5Q/yH09kW0kOwnYS1j6HLPkhcQxBnMS.jpg [Broken]

And I don't mean the outfit.

Female Bigfoot seeks male bigfoot - 26
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/w4m/234533758.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an atheist, I don't celebrate. Unfortunately, everyone around me does. W just asked me what I want. :rolleyes: She probably didn't believe me when I said how much I love scrap typewriters and VCR's that I can disassemble for parts.
I'm with radou on this one. If someone insists upon giving me something, I want it to be a surprise. I don't care what the hell it is, as long as I don't know until I open it. Likewise, I will get W the thing that she asked for, but I've already got her 2 surprise presents set aside. Since none of the 13 grandchildren contain any of my DNA, she's on her own buying **** for them.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the best gift to get a scientist for Christmas?</h2><p>The best gift for a scientist depends on their specific interests and field of study. Some popular gifts for scientists include books related to their field, science-themed clothing or accessories, or high-quality lab equipment.</p><h2>2. Do scientists prefer practical gifts or fun gifts for Christmas?</h2><p>This also depends on the individual scientist. Some may appreciate practical gifts that they can use in their research or work, while others may enjoy fun and lighthearted gifts related to science.</p><h2>3. Are there any unique or unusual gifts that scientists would appreciate for Christmas?</h2><p>Yes, there are many unique and unusual gifts that scientists would appreciate. Some ideas include science-themed board games, novelty items like a periodic table shower curtain, or a subscription to a science magazine.</p><h2>4. Is it appropriate to give a scientist a science-related gift for Christmas if they are not currently working in the field?</h2><p>Yes, it is still appropriate to give a science-related gift to a scientist even if they are not currently working in the field. Many scientists have a passion for science that extends beyond their career, and they may enjoy receiving gifts that reflect this interest.</p><h2>5. Can I give a homemade gift to a scientist for Christmas?</h2><p>Absolutely! Many scientists appreciate handmade gifts, especially if they are related to their field of study. Some ideas for homemade gifts for scientists include a personalized lab coat or a hand-drawn illustration of a scientific concept.</p>

1. What is the best gift to get a scientist for Christmas?

The best gift for a scientist depends on their specific interests and field of study. Some popular gifts for scientists include books related to their field, science-themed clothing or accessories, or high-quality lab equipment.

2. Do scientists prefer practical gifts or fun gifts for Christmas?

This also depends on the individual scientist. Some may appreciate practical gifts that they can use in their research or work, while others may enjoy fun and lighthearted gifts related to science.

3. Are there any unique or unusual gifts that scientists would appreciate for Christmas?

Yes, there are many unique and unusual gifts that scientists would appreciate. Some ideas include science-themed board games, novelty items like a periodic table shower curtain, or a subscription to a science magazine.

4. Is it appropriate to give a scientist a science-related gift for Christmas if they are not currently working in the field?

Yes, it is still appropriate to give a science-related gift to a scientist even if they are not currently working in the field. Many scientists have a passion for science that extends beyond their career, and they may enjoy receiving gifts that reflect this interest.

5. Can I give a homemade gift to a scientist for Christmas?

Absolutely! Many scientists appreciate handmade gifts, especially if they are related to their field of study. Some ideas for homemade gifts for scientists include a personalized lab coat or a hand-drawn illustration of a scientific concept.