Is Peace on Earth Possible During the Holiday Season?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various topics and wishes for Christmas, including spending money for stores, wishing for peace on Earth, inviting guests for dinner, not wanting gifts, wanting a stronger pound, and wanting specific items or experiences for Christmas. There is also discussion about the true meaning of Christmas and wishing for good luck for friends and family.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To me xmas is just crazy, spending money is good for the stores, i have read that some stores make most of there yearly profit in the xmas weeks.

As for peace on Earth, well one CAN wish for it, but i can not see it happening any time soon.

I guess the best thing i can wish for is you all to have good health and happiness, but even that would have to be one powerful wish to void Evo of harm.

Physics news on Phys.org
World Peace. That or an Xbox 360

What do you want for xmass?

Guests, for dinner. Everybody is invited.

and no X-mas shifts this year for me, X fingers

My wife and I invite my father for dinner, and we don't exchange gifts - just some snacks and a meal followed by card games, etc.

And it won't actually be in Christmas day this year. My wife has to take care of her mother on that day.

A mechanical pencil with colored leads. Sick and tired of sharpening all the damn colored pencils in my office.

xbox 360 elite
gears of war 2
virtual drumline 2.5
2003 gti 20th ae edition; jazz blue
money for books
a couch or futon
more clothes

lol

Earplugs.

What do you want for xmas?

The pound to get stronger against the dollar again!

xboxes are banned for christmas because they're cheap and awful.

Kurdt said:
xboxes are banned for christmas because they're cheap and awful.

360 > ps3

sorry, that's what jesus told me.

offtheleft said:
xbox 360 elite
gears of war 2
virtual drumline 2.5
money for books
a couch or futon
more clothes

lol

That's a lot of junk.

I ask for nothing. I don't like gifts personally. It just adds to a pile of junk.

JasonRox said:
That's a lot of junk.

I ask for nothing. I don't like gifts personally. It just adds to a pile of junk.

I agree. Anything I have that I feel like I don't need or is never going to be used goes straight to the trash can.

offtheleft said:
xbox 360 elite
gears of war 2
virtual drumline 2.5
money for books
a couch or futon
more clothes

lol

well i sold my older xbox for a plane ticket to miami, along with all my games etc.

virtualdrumline 2.5, is a set of sounds used to write music. i have the older version, and by writing and selling some music i was able to buy books this past fall. on older computer crashed, along with all the programs i used so i have to get them again, for mac this time.

i need a new car, that happens to be my car of choice, I am buying that my self. anyone want to buy a 2005 cobalt ss s/c with 2.5'' pullies, aig cai, toyo tires and magnaflow exhaust? or a 2006 kawasaki zx636 lol, leo vince evo exhaust, and a few other goodies.

couch or futon for my room. i have a gigantic tv but nothing to sit on to watch it.

and more clothes. due to the pure fact that i don't have many things to wear.

JasonRox said:
That's a lot of junk.

the clothes can go in my multiple closes/dressers. the xbox would go on one of my desks. the couch/futon would be right in front of my tv. the vdl2.5 would go into my computer than id put the cd on my book shelf. and the car would go in my garage. not much of a pile anywhere considering my room is quite large and i try hard to keep it clean.

Cyrus said:
I agree.

to each their own.

Love.

Cyrus said:
I agree. Anything I have that I feel like I don't need or is never going to be used goes straight to the trash can.

First dibs on the Cyrus trash can contents.

A week with my boyfriend! I can't wait. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
A week with my boyfriend! I can't wait. :biggrin:

Hold on MoonB, steady, steady.

job stability when I graduate. :p

Ian_Brooks said:
job stability when I graduate. :p

That is some thing well worth wishing for, i surely hope you get it.

wolram said:
To me xmas is just crazy, spending money is good for the stores, i have read that some stores make most of there yearly profit in the xmas weeks.
Make of Christmas what you want it to be.

Cookies, nog, A Christmas Story, family, music.

My daughter and husband, (not bf any more), are cooking dinner at my parents house, i sure love them to bits, but they like soggy turkey :yuck:

Such a long list...

I want my friend Tom to have a good turn of luck for a change (bad divorce)
I want my friend Sue to find a job she can love
I want my friend Tyrone to work through problems with his gf
I want my brother to stop with the meth already!
I want my dear friend John to get through these next few months (just got a lung cancer diagnosis - the biopsy caused a collapsed lung)

And if I could have one thing, I want to keep my job.

Things have been unusually sucky for me and people dear to me these last few weeks.

lisab said:
Such a long list...

I want my friend Tom to have a good turn of luck for a change (bad divorce)
I want my friend Sue to find a job she can love
I want my friend Tyrone to work through problems with his gf
I want my brother to stop with the meth already!
I want my dear friend John to get through these next few months (just got a lung cancer diagnosis - the biopsy caused a collapsed lung)

And if I could have one thing, I want to keep my job.

Things have been unusually sucky for me and people dear to me these last few weeks.

Hells bells, 4 and 5, need some good luck and best wishes, 1,2 and 3 can go fish.

Math Is Hard said:
Love.
Everyone loves you MIH. :!)

How about those Christmas videos I owe you?

I want meat for me and the Fruit Bat

Nice clumping cat litter for Dr Foofer,

Sunflower seeds for my squirrels.

Oh, and I need a warm scarf/muffler for my neck, socks, and a large bulky sweater.

And a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry (or Dry Sack), a good unblended scotch, and Baileys.

Evo said:
Everyone loves you MIH. :!)

How about those Christmas videos I owe you?

Thank you, Evo! There are Christmas videos?

I am going to send you my latest invention for Christmas - a Teflon cat box. (and don't even think about it, Kurdt. I already have the patent!)

Math Is Hard said:
Love.

In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.

Good grades

Ivan Seeking said:

Maybe Santa will put one in my stocking if I am good. o:)

~christina~ said:
Good grades

You know you'll get those. How about some frivolous wishes?

New Zealand beating Australia in the cricket.

I'd love to have the feeling I used to get on the 24th of December (I couldn't wait for the 25th and tried to go to sleep early so Christmas would come quicker) when I was around 6 years old. Christmas was the BEST! even better than a birthday. It was a feeling like, if Santa is real and Christmas is real, then nothing in the world can be bad...But, then you get older, Santa is a fake, half the world doesn't believe in Christmas, the other quarter call it xmas and it just becomes a fight through the shops at the last minute to buy a bunch of crap that people don't need.

I'm going to visit some new family eat myself into a half coma and lie on the couch and watch the Grinch. :wink:

Math Is Hard said:
Love.

Ivan Seeking said:

Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.

I'll confess to wanting a pocket-size digital balance. It'd be perfect for outreach I do for HS physics/chemistry teachers... and our lab director keeps every single working balance in the department under PERSONAL lock and key. AUGH!

They are down to about $60. I'm thinking of splurging for my sanity and dignity. I hate groveling.

Plus... they look cute and and shiny! :biggrin:

Evo said:
Oh, and I need a warm scarf/muffler for my neck, socks, and a large bulky sweater.

And a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry (or Dry Sack), a good unblended scotch, and Baileys.

If the second list arrives, you shouldn't need any items from the first! :biggrin: