Is Peace on Earth Possible During the Holiday Season?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various topics and wishes for Christmas, including spending money for stores, wishing for peace on Earth, inviting guests for dinner, not wanting gifts, wanting a stronger pound, and wanting specific items or experiences for Christmas. There is also discussion about the true meaning of Christmas and wishing for good luck for friends and family.
Andre said:
Guests, for dinner. Everybody is invited.

and no X-mas shifts this year for me, X fingers
well what i want will take the whole computer system to overload.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I have love too? I want this guy.
dork.gif

Attachments

• dork.gif
    dork.gif
    219 bytes · Views: 363
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Math Is Hard said:
Love.

Ivan Seeking said:
In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.

Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.

somebody may have missed a pickup line:

Math Is Hard said:
OK, here's my new trick. I bump into an engineer at a bar and say. "oopsie!" and let a slide rule fall out of my purse. I think it has potential.

Evo said:
Can I have love too? I want this guy. [PLAIN]http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/moods/dork.gif[/QUOTE][/URL]

I may have found him for you. Sending you a PM now...

Last edited by a moderator:
New friends. Understanding.
Scholarship...

Andre said:
BobG said:
Math Is Hard said:
Love.
Ivan Seeking said:
In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.
Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.
somebody may have missed a pickup line:

Math Is Hard said:
OK, here's my new trick. I bump into an engineer at a bar and say. "oopsie!" and let a slide rule fall out of my purse. I think it has potential.
Doh! For some reason, my first thought was the Wizard of Oz (a diploma for the tinman, a robe for the lion, etc). Now it makes a lot more sense.

I just want a post with quotes nested to at least 7 levels.

Math Is Hard said:
I may have found him for you. Sending you a PM now...
WOOT! Can you send him? :!)

All the PF sisters are loved already.

Kurdt said:
All the PF sisters are loved already.
I :!) you kurdt.

Are you sending Kurdt, MIH?

Anyone else find reciprocal gift giving sort of ridiculous as you get older. I think when I have kids it will be different. But my family is older now and it seems silly them giving me a list of what they want. All this stuff they can get on a Saturday afternoon. Then I have to give them a few things I kinda want. I can buy anything I want off amazon in 3 seconds. So what is the point? I suppose if you find something they really want by yourself without a list is fun, but that get harder the less you see them.

Yes, Christmas is really for the kids. I think this thread shows how peoples priorities change over the years.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else find reciprocal gift giving sort of ridiculous as you get older. I think when I have kids it will be different. But my family is older now and it seems silly them giving me a list of what they want. All this stuff they can get on a Saturday afternoon. Then I have to give them a few things I kinda want. I can buy anything I want off amazon in 3 seconds. So what is the point? Anyone?
My father likes handing out cards and checks well before Christmas, and I can't dissuade him, so my wife and I make sure that he gets stuff that he really needs. It's not store-bought presents, usually, but stuff that an 83 year-old widower can use. My wife is taking care of her mother for the next 20+ hours (home-bound with dementia) and when she gets relieved tomorrow she's going to take my father a nice big pork loin end roast and gravy. That will keep him in meals and sandwiches for a while. He stopped in yesterday, and I gave him a couple of quarts of home-made chicken soup. I made brine today, and she's going to soak two of the roasts in it tonight - one for her mother and one for my father - and roast them tomorrow.

When you're an old fellow whose cooking sucks (to be polite) getting decent meals is a good thing.

Moonbear said:
A week with my boyfriend! I can't wait. :biggrin:

If you're willing to share, you can take care of MIH's request at the same time.
(Not mention giving bf a present that he'll never forget.)
:biggrin:

Danger said:
If you're willing to share, you can take care of MIH's request at the same time.
(Not mention giving bf a present that he'll never forget.)
:biggrin:

Hey, we're not into that Canadian polyandry stuff. :tongue2:

Andre said:
Are you sending Kurdt, MIH?

No, someone a touch older and nerdier.

A visa to Brazil

Math Is Hard said:
No, someone a touch older and nerdier.
Wha? Did someone call my name?