What does Adultery really mean

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: No, I don't think so. If the wife is okay with it, then there's no problem. But if the wife isn't okay with it, then the husband should probably stop.
Saint
Does adultery mean "having sex with a person who is not your spouse" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saint said:
Does adultery mean "having sex with a person who is not your spouse" ?
http://www.reelwavs.com/movies/lord_of_the_rings/the_two_towers/laythesetroubles.wav

Yes. (filler to beat the 10 character minimum)

No, it doesn't mean that. To qualify as adultery, at least one of the participants must be married, and the other person must not be the spouse of the former. Saint's definition would apply to sexual intercourse between two unmarried people, which is not adultery. In Saint-speak, that would be called fornication.

Hey Saint ! you have some action on the side?

...though the defintions have changed over time
In the Mosaic Law, as in the old Roman Law, adultery meant only the carnal intercourse of a wife with a man who was not her lawful husband. The intercourse of a married man with a single woman was not accounted adultery, but fornication.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01163a.htm

i thought fornication and adultery are of the same meaning?

if i go to get prostitute, am i adulterer?

Didn't you understand the answers?

Saint said:
i thought fornication and adultery are of the same meaning?

if i go to get prostitute, am i adulterer?

In spite of Ivan's more archaic definition, if you're married, then yes, you're an adulterer if you go to a prostitute. If you aren't married, then no, it's not adultery. Problems at home that you need to ask about this?

if my wife had cervical cancer and she can not make love with me,
i then go to get prostitute, can i excuse myself that i am not an adulterer?

how about polygamy,
having >1 wife,
is this man adulterer?

Does USA laws allow you to register >1 wife?

Saint said:
if my wife had cervical cancer and she can not make love with me,
i then go to get prostitute, can i excuse myself that i am not an adulterer?

No, that would just make you a disgusting cretin to cheat on your wife when she's sick!

Saint said:
how about polygamy,
having >1 wife,
is this man adulterer?

If it's legal and they are all wives, no.

Does USA laws allow you to register >1 wife?

Nope. One wife at a time in the US. I'm sure that just destroys your dream of moving to the US one day.

if you have a mistress, and she has a child of yours, in USA, can you register this child as your child? You his/her father?
In malaysia, when you want to register your baby, the registrar will ask for a copy of your and your wife's identity card and your marriage certificate plus the hospital's letter, to verify that you and your wife are the true father/mother of this newborn baby. Without that, this baby is illegitimate!

in USA, can you go to the office to register the baby born by your mistress, put down the name of your mistress as his/her mother, and you the father ?

There is a tribe in the Amazon where women have multiple husbands.

Saint, I think cheating on a spouse that is ill is even more despicable than cheating on a healthy one.

Saint said:
if you have a mistress, and she has a child of yours, in USA, can you register this child as your child? You his/her father?
In malaysia, when you want to register your baby, the registrar will ask for a copy of your and your wife's identity card and your marriage certificate plus the hospital's letter, to verify that you and your wife are the true father/mother of this newborn baby. Without that, this baby is illegitimate!

in USA, can you go to the office to register the baby born by your mistress, put down the name of your mistress as his/her mother, and you the father ?

The mother fills out the birth certificate paperwork. If she isn't married, she can choose to not name a father for the child at all.

What is with your obsession with sex and cheating?

Evo said:
Saint, I think cheating on a spouse that is ill is even more despicable than cheating on a healthy one.

I agree! I think only the lowest form of life would cheat on a sick spouse.

if the husband frankly told the wife that he needs sex,
since the wife can't do it,
and she allow him to have sex outside, anything wrong?
do you expect the husband to stay in celibacy for his whole life?

let's say the husband is impotent due to accident or what,
and the wife is normal,
do you expect the wife to Live Without Sex for her whole life?

Saint said:
if the husband frankly told the wife that he needs sex,
since the wife can't do it,
and she allow him to have sex outside, anything wrong?
do you expect the husband to stay in celibacy for his whole life?
Frankly I can't understand a guy remaining in celibacy for his whole life unless he's got some outside motivation (i.e. religion).

Saint said:
and the wife is normal,
Yes :tongue2:

Saint said:
There are several forms of sexual relations. You know, they have great toys out there. o:)

Saint said:
and the wife is normal,
Yes. It shows loyality and if sex is all that matters in this world then what is the point in love.

I had a problem with simply kissing my girlfriend for a while but I go over that because I loved her.

Sex is not the be all and end all and (for your sake Saint) it doesn't stop other types of sex. To me, the others are too much (mainly because of my age and views) but love is more important.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Can anyone intending on making fun of my post please put a :tongue2: infront of their post so I know not to get offended by it please. Thanks. :smile:

Well, I do totally agree with the Bob here, love is the most important, this is may be why not much people "enter" my mind since they start flirting with anyone who they found attractive, even before they like/love him...which i think it is tooooooo bad. And i will be brave and i will say it in the words of Moon Bear [new version] : Not even the lowest form of life.

About you saint, I have a good solution , which even in Malaysia they allowed it , and i personally found nothing wrong about it: Marry another one, if your wife does not get offended or harmed by that action, and treat them equally. Do not be bias between them. I think this is the best solution, obvuilsly, you have to love your other wife as well, the new one i mean [yeah, you already love the first one, arent you?] without, it will be a "sex machine" which it is not "cool" for homo-sapiens, i guess, and i might be wrong.

Moonbear said:
No, that would just make you a disgusting cretin to cheat on your wife when she's sick!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That i so funny! I love it when people call other people cretins... or morons... or jerks... want to be my soul-mate?

On another note, I always assumed that adultery was sleeping with someone who wasnt your partner, as in modern days more and more people arent getting married. So if they cheated it wouldn't be adultery.

I don't intend on getting married. Simple :tongue2:

jimmy p said:
On another note, I always assumed that adultery was sleeping with someone who wasnt your partner, as in modern days more and more people arent getting married. So if they cheated it wouldn't be adultery.

If nobody is married, it isn't adultery. I would just call it cheating.

What is the definition of adultery?

Adultery is defined as the act of being unfaithful to one's spouse or partner by engaging in a sexual relationship with someone who is not their spouse or partner.

How is adultery different from infidelity?

While the terms are often used interchangeably, adultery specifically refers to a married person being unfaithful to their spouse, whereas infidelity can refer to any type of sexual or emotional betrayal within a relationship, regardless of marital status.

Is adultery illegal?

In some countries and states, adultery is considered a criminal offense and can result in legal consequences such as fines or imprisonment. However, in many places, it is not illegal but may still have consequences in terms of divorce or custody proceedings.

What are the effects of adultery on a relationship?

Adultery can have a major impact on a relationship, often causing feelings of betrayal, anger, and hurt. It can also lead to trust issues and may ultimately result in the end of the relationship.

Can adultery be forgiven?

Forgiveness is a personal decision and varies from person to person. While some couples may be able to work through the betrayal and rebuild their relationship, others may not be able to move past it. Ultimately, forgiveness is a complex process that depends on the individuals involved and the circumstances of the adultery.