What does American mean to you?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: I'm ashamed and troubled by the way our political system bestows extreme destructive power into the hands of reckless bullies.When something goes wrong people don't riot and have coups.
Mallignamius said:
I am American. It is a word I now fear. Only because there are some who would kill me just for the word.

That is true for almost every country. there is always someone who will have some sort of gripe with a country to the extent where they would harm the citizens of that country.

I am an individual. I am not a politician, nor do I have much say over our international affairs and policies. But I would be held guilty anyways by those who are hurt by my government's actions.

The government acts on behalf of the citizens that elect them. Unfortunately its impossible to know who voted for who so the whole population gets tarred with the same brush when a government does something that is unpopular to others. In the eyes of the people that do this, that is not unreasonable since a government must be elected by a significant proportion of the population.

I wish I could make things better. But I think I can say that we all have faults. I won't point my finger at yours if you don't point yours at mine. Deal?

Criticism is how we all learn from each other. If you take away the right to criticize others then we cannot progress and modify our behaviours. It may be hurtful to hear some things but it is necessary to understand oneself better and to perhaps learn from them.

I am afraid for my country's future, my posterity, my work. I have some ambition, plans to study science, to help make a better world. But my resources are limited now. So it's all a matter of hope and will.

Physics news on Phys.org
Art said:
Your data is out of date. Latest figures are

Ireland GDP per capita = $43,600; GDP growth rate = 5.2%; Unemployment = 4.3%

USA GDP per capita = $43,500; GDP growth rate = 3.2%; Unemployment = 4.6%

source https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Thus as you can see amongst other superior measures the Irish have a higher average GDP than the US. We also have far better social welfare programs which improve the overall standard of living; oh and nice scenery too :wink:

Although there were strong protests against Bush when he visited here we certainly do not hate (or envy) Americans as I am sure the many thousands who visit our shores each year will testify not least because many of them are our relatives. :biggrin:

I sure would love to spend a summer in Ireland. Maybe find where my distant relatives are at ;)
"D. Rankin from the clan Rankin!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
That is true for almost every country. there is always someone who will have some sort of gripe with a country to the extent where they would harm the citizens of that country.

The government acts on behalf of the citizens that elect them. Unfortunately its impossible to know who voted for who so the whole population gets tarred with the same brush when a government does something that is unpopular to others. In the eyes of the people that do this, that is not unreasonable since a government must be elected by a significant proportion of the population.
True, but it's still wrong to hold every individual in a group accountable for the actions of the majority. It's only convenient to nail the whole to get the most. My gripe is more with the usage of any word that groups people, like the word 'American.' -When people who didn't know me --told me-- that I elected X politician, and just because I'm American, I deserve a certain fate.

Criticism is how we all learn from each other. If you take away the right to criticize others then we cannot progress and modify our behaviours. It may be hurtful to hear some things but it is necessary to understand oneself better and to perhaps learn from them.
Good point.

Mallignamius said:
True, but it's still wrong to hold every individual in a group accountable for the actions of the majority. It's only convenient to nail the whole to get the most. My gripe is more with the usage of any word that groups people, like the word 'American.' -When people who didn't know me --told me-- that I elected X politician, and just because I'm American, I deserve a certain fate.

I agree that it is wrong but unfortunately that is what many people do. There is no real way to combat that either as it is down to the individuals country of origin to hopefully educate these people to the point that they can see why that is wrong for themselves.