Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does an underlined U mean?

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1
    What does an underlined "U" mean?

Hi, Im a newbie to physics, can somebody let me know what an underlined "U" means?

U

Has it got to do with an unstable system moving towards chaos? Is it a quantum thing?

Like I said Im a newbie, and this expression may not even exist!

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2
    Might help if you mentioned where and under what circumstance you saw the term under. I do not recall seeing it before though. BTW I think most people understand what an underlined u is, you don't need to type it in such a large font! It appears somewhat aggressive or demanding. Let us know where you saw the term though.

4. Aug 24, 2004 #3
    Sorry I didnt mean to shout! I didnt have a graphic of one, but yeah it is pretty damn obvious :wink:

I think I read it in the Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra.

5. Aug 24, 2004 #4
    What page? I have the book.

6. Aug 24, 2004 #5
    EEEgh! good question. I borrowed it from the library. Hmm. Maybe somewhere around the chapter that was on about 'parallels'? I had a skim through this chapter again a few weeks ago but couldnt find anything. Ive since almost given up! Its driving me nuts!! (I may be mistaken here, it may not even be Capra's book!)

7. Aug 24, 2004 #6
    Ok sorry a context. Hmm a stable system moving progressively into something else, maybe a different system, or in quantum physics maybe the underlined u represents a potential or 'fixed' system based on all the probabilities that went into the 'observation'? Like I said Im a newbie, I hope Im not overly complicating things, and I may even have it all wrong.

8. Aug 25, 2004 #7
    Well it's not in Capra's book...I look through the whole chapter relating to "parallels". Maybe someone else can help you. I have no clue what an underlined u means. Why do you ask? What purpose do you have to determine it's meaning?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?