1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does c-number stand for?

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    I came across the word "c-number" several times. At first I thought it was an abbreviation of "complex number", but I found it is not true.

One book says 3D dirac delta function evaluated at zero vector is an infinite c-number. What does it mean???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2
    c is normally constant, lightspeed (celeritas), complex number...

marlon

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes. What does that infer about alphabetically challenged letters like g and h?

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The poor letters, I feel sorry for them; h needs a crutch in the form of a bar in order to be useful for physicists..

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are beyond my help, arildno :rofl:

7. Mar 18, 2005 #6
    In which field is your c-number in? C-number is used in computational analysis to denote the number of basic steps needed to perform an algorithm or calculation.

8. Mar 18, 2005 #7

hellfire

Science Advisor

Yes, I read something similar in Peskin & Schröder's "Introduction to QFT". I think this is an old nomenclature used by Dirac to distinguish between real or complex numbers (c-numbers or classical numbers) and operators (q-numbers or quantum numbers) in quantum mechanics.

9. Sep 12, 2011 #8
    Just following up ... I came across the same thing in a book on quantum optics. In this context at least, the c-number is the classical number corresponding to a quantity (position, say) and the q-number (quantum number) is the corresponding operator for that quantity i.e. for position: x is the c-number for \hat{x}. I think it was used mainly for comparing classical and quantum pictures of the same variable with respect to the correspondence principle but I don't think many people use it anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook