1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does "det" mean?

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    I'm new to physics and I see "det" used in math a lot. What does it mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It means to take the determinant of a matrix.

4. Nov 12, 2014 #3
    Yeah, a matrix is a rectangular arrangement of numbers and the details means taking the determinant. Look up matrices and determinants on the net. Or better yet, there's a good course in linear algebra on iTunes u ( the one with Gilbert Strang) check it out

5. Nov 21, 2014 #4
    The "determinant" of a matrix is mostly used to solve systems of linear equations. It has multiple uses, but most notably, finding the determinant is a crucial step in inverting a square (##n \times n##) matrix. If you plan on pursuing high level math, physics, or engineering, you'll need to know what the determinant is and how to interpret it.

6. Nov 21, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is it?

7. Nov 21, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Borek here (in his questioning of your statement about the determinant being a crucial step in inverting a matrix.

Certainly if det(A) = 0, the inverse of A doesn't exist, but for an invertible matrix A, you can find the inverse using Gauss-Jordan without ever taking the determinant. If it turns out that A isn't invertible, the Gauss-Jordan process will end up with a matrix with one or more rows of zeros (instead of the identity matrix) on the left side of your augmented matrix.

8. Nov 22, 2014 #7
    That makes sense. I'm a first-year undergrad and the highest level of math I've had is linear algebra, so I'm just pulling out of the bag of tricks I have so far. Thanks for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook