1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does 'dry' mean?

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    What does it mean when someone says that a book is dry ?Does the book lack explanation?or is the book boring? is it pejorative?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It means lacking flavor --- written in a "just the facts" style

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4
    It means there's a low concentration of moisture per unit volume in that particular system.

6. Sep 16, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I agree that dry means, just the facts. For example, a comedian who is dry will say jokes like "a man walks into a bar, ouch!" or "I was driving home and turned into my driveway, but it was a dead end". It is pejorative, it usually implies the author is unaccomplished. A dry comedian is not very funny, a dry book is not terribly well written, etc, the authorship is poor. So you'll see reviews say things like "on the dry side (or a little dry) but has good coverage", the coverage is excusing the dryness.

I suppose it is a little like sophisticated. Sophisticated used to mean, convoluted, terse, but now it it seen as meaning advanced or intellectual. So "the treatment of differential forms is dry and sophisticated" could be a recommendation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted