Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does Edgar Escultura think of Group Theory?

1. Jul 22, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

From what I've read of his work on FLT, I think Edgar Escultura is brilliant. I wonder why he hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves. Does anyone know where I can find more articles by him?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 22, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Eh, this was just an attempt to lure matt grime into GD. I don't really think EE is brilliant or care what he has to say about anything. I think it's beginning to annoy people, so I'll just let it go. o:)
    But just out of curiosity, did it lure you into GD?? How did you come across it- did it show up in the new posts results? Were you already browsing GD?

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was browsing the "Unanswered Threads" link. o:)

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Aha! So it did lure you in. :approve: matt may have won this one, but I will find his weakness eventually. One day when he least expects it... :devil:

Oh, I mean, I've uh let it go. :cool:

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6

jma2001

Gold Member

Is there really an "Unanswered Threads" link? Where?

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the home page, look at the left link at the bottom of the big table.

9. Jul 23, 2005 #8

jma2001

Gold Member

I still don't see it. :confused:

10. Jul 23, 2005 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Jul 23, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

It's right beneath Dr. Michio Kaku's Forum.

12. Jul 23, 2005 #11

jma2001

Gold Member

OK, I know I'm not the brightest bulb on PF's tree, but I am looking exactly where you are telling me to look, and it's not there. Just so there can be no misunderstandings, here's what my screen looks like:

[​IMG]

So, where is it? :confused:

Edit: It looks the same whether I am logged in or not, so it has nothing to do with my user profile.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  13. Jul 23, 2005 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

That's very strange- it should be right to the left of Mark Forums Read, on the same line. :confused: What browser are you using?

14. Jul 23, 2005 #13

jma2001

Gold Member

I'm using IE6 ... yeah I know, not my choice, I am required to use it on this computer. Still, a simple HTML link should not be dependent on the browser?

15. Jul 23, 2005 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Heh, I couldn't think of anything else.
    I'm using Firefox. When not logged in, there's no Unanswered Threads link. But when logged in, the link is there.
    I tried it with IE6: Same thing. When not logged in, there's no Unanswered Threads link. But when logged in, the link is there.
    Maybe it has something to do with your user settings? :confused: No idea really.

16. Jul 23, 2005 #15
    I see it....

[​IMG]
    perhaps there were no unanswered threads to be listed at the time you looked?

17. Jul 23, 2005 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

The search goes back far- it returns 500 results, which I think is the max. I think if there were no unanswered threads, the search would just return the Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

I wonder if it shows up for other subscribers.

18. Jul 23, 2005 #17

jma2001

Gold Member

Apparently the "Unanswered Threads" link is a vBulletin hack, I found some info here:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63008

According to the link: "it is set up for Admins, Super Mods and Mods to see the link. But you can add whatever usergroups you want to see it very easily."

So now, we just have to figure out why robphy, honestrosewater, and Townsend are all in the privileged usergroup, while I am not. :cry:

19. Jul 23, 2005 #18
    I see it too, maybe it has to do with contributors?

20. Jul 23, 2005 #19
    i also see it, though i never noticed it before. maybe it has to do with older members?

21. Jul 23, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

To lure Matt, I think you'll have to put his name, or 'group theory,' or something else he's likely to notice, in the first words of the title. Since he probably doesn't ever look into this forum, he's going to have to see the link from the front page, and it cuts off into . . . after several words.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?