What does everything strive for? Randomness? Perfection? Conformity? Acceptance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of randomness, perfection, conformity, and entropy, with different opinions and perspectives being shared. There is also a mention of the universe and its potential for perfection, as well as the idea of conformity being a societal construct. The conversation also touches on the idea of everything striving for perfection, including non-living things such as dust particles. However, there is a lack of clear definitions and parameters, leading to a debate over interpretations and the purpose of things.
a2tha3
In asking this question, I am assuming randomness exists, but I cannot be certain. I am also assuming that 'perfection'. I cannot be certain of that either. I have also heard that everything strives for perfection, but I also cannot be certain. From this, I have induced that some people strive for randomness to achieve perfection, or interpret perfection as randomness not conformity.

I do not know if conformity exists. In my sense of the word I feel it does, but then again in my sense of the words randomness and perfection i feel they exist so I am forced to say I cannot be certain if conformity exists.

But I am just curious as to whether or not they are close to a universal definition of perfection:randomness or conformity

I have also been wondering whether or not the universe is perfect. Who am I to question the perfection of the universe? It may not be ideal in my eyes, but that does not mean it is perfect in the sense of the word.

There is another thing that I know, is that everyone has a different vision in their head of what perfection is. On a social scale I think that acceptance by everyone is perfection. I guess it depends on the context of what you use the word perfection to describe but in most cases I have to argue that when someone says something is "perfect," a better term (well phrase) would be satisfatory adequate to expectation and performance.

I'm not asking as humans what we strive for, but the universe as a whole. But people have argued that everything struggles for innate perfection including humans. Even a scientist hypothesized this (he was wrong in the example he used a fiddler crab evolving by using it's claw and consequently becoming larger and more efficient)

Any thoughts on the general subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy"

Entropy...and what category does entropy fall under? Randomness? Perfection? Acceptance? Conformity?... You don't specify anything. Just a word and a link.

Anyone can put a word, and make it a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy"

Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually read the link?

It explains entropy exactly. The reason I picked entropy is because it isn't a property of physics, but a property of math in general. So it seems not to be just a part of our universe, but of reality in general.

Read up on what entropy is and you'll know what I'm talking about.

well I think a more defined term for perfect is needed. something could be perfectly random or perfectly organized. but without a more defined term, I think that perfection is in the moment. and as far as I can tell the universe only exists. which is to say it doesn't strive for anything but is in the moment (perfection). no matter if it becomes more chaotic or more organized.

I say conformity, definitely conformity.

a2tha3 said:
I'm not asking as humans what we strive for, but the universe as a whole. But people have argued that everything struggles for innate perfection including humans.Any thoughts on the general subject?
When you say everything, are you asking what dust is striving for?

Do you mean living organisms? Are you asking someone to actually tell you what bacteria wants?

I'm sorry, you need to put some parameters around this and provide definitions. Otherwise this thread doesn't meet the criteria for discussion.

"Strives" sounds like it necessitates ability to jump over obstacles to get to state or goal.

When you start questioning why or the purpose of things...it can really just become a debate over people's own interpretations, I'd say.

Apparently the entire universe is one big survival unit. Otherwise there wouldn't be a universe that's been around for 14 billion years.

Conformity is simply a support group for the ego. Perfection is simply what the ego wants to thinks of itself.

The idea is that you are more right when others agree, and if not, then you can at least falsely assure each other that you are.

Evo said:
When you say everything, are you asking what dust is striving for?

Do you mean living organisms? Are you asking someone to actually tell you what bacteria wants?

I'm sorry, you need to put some parameters around this and provide definitions. Otherwise this thread doesn't meet the criteria for discussion.

What is up with all those sell out conformist dust particles anyways?

Perhaps gravity is really just what mass strives for because particles get lonely?

That's what Aristotle thought.

1. What is the purpose of striving for randomness?

The concept of randomness is often associated with chaos and disorder. However, in the scientific world, randomness plays a crucial role in creating diversity and promoting evolution. Random events can lead to new combinations and adaptations, ultimately driving progress and innovation.

2. Is perfection attainable?

Perfection is a subjective concept and can mean different things to different people. In science, perfection is often seen as an ideal state that can be approached but never fully achieved. This is because there will always be room for improvement and new discoveries that challenge our current understanding of perfection.

3. How does conformity affect progress?

Conformity can have both positive and negative effects on progress. On one hand, conforming to established norms and rules can provide structure and stability in a scientific field. However, too much conformity can lead to a lack of diversity and limit new ideas and perspectives from emerging.

4. Why do humans strive for acceptance?

Humans are social creatures and have a natural desire to belong and be accepted by others. In science, acceptance from the scientific community is crucial for the validation and dissemination of research. However, it is important to also question and challenge accepted beliefs in order to make progress and avoid groupthink.

5. What role does nature play in the strive for these concepts?

Nature is constantly striving for balance and equilibrium, which can be seen in the presence of randomness, imperfections, and conformity. However, it is important to note that nature is not striving for these concepts intentionally, but rather they are natural consequences of the laws of the universe. Humans may strive for these concepts, but ultimately nature has its own path and processes.