What is Experimental Design and How is it Used in Identifying Pure Substances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of experimental design and how it relates to a lab report on identifying pure substances. The discussion includes the definition of experimental design and the importance of properly choosing and arranging equipment for conducting experiments. The conversation also touches on the idea of including a diagram and explanation of the experiment in the report. Overall, the focus is on the process of obtaining information through measurements and observations.
skilet
I am doing a Lab report on "Using Properties To Identify Pure Substances"
I want to know what does the Experimental design mean. Can anyone tell
me what it means?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
skilet said:
I am doing a Lab report on "Using Properties To Identify Pure Substances"
I want to know what does the Experimental design mean. Can anyone tell
me what it means?

Thanks,

It would be the apparatus used and how it's set up.

you mean like I have to draw a diagram and explain how the experiment was done?

thanks

skilet said:
you mean like I have to draw a diagram and explain how the experiment was done?

thanks

Yes I think so.Enjoy it.

How a person chooses equipment and arrange it and to initiate and perform processes for the purpose of obtaining information. Someone may have a more efficient definition of Experimental Design.

Don't let the sophisticated terminology distract you. It is how you choose to achieve your objective of making measurements and observations to help you study and understand a small piece of nature or a process.

Ok so I am going to make a picture of our experiment and explain what's in the
picture. Or should I say like how I did it. I was thinking If I write how I did the
experiment then that will become the procedure.

1. What is experimental design?

Experimental design is a research method used to determine the cause and effect relationship between variables. It involves systematically manipulating independent variables and measuring their effects on dependent variables to draw conclusions about the relationship between the two.

2. Why is experimental design important?

Experimental design is important because it allows scientists to control and manipulate variables in a systematic way, ensuring that any observed effects are due to the independent variable and not other factors. This helps to ensure the validity and reliability of the results.

3. What are the components of experimental design?

The components of experimental design include: a clear research question or hypothesis, identification of independent and dependent variables, selection of a sample or population, random assignment of participants to groups, control of extraneous variables, and a control group for comparison.

4. What is the difference between experimental and non-experimental design?

The main difference between experimental and non-experimental design is the level of control over variables. Experimental design involves manipulating and controlling variables, while non-experimental design simply observes and measures variables without manipulation. Experimental design is considered more rigorous and allows for stronger conclusions to be drawn.

5. What are some common types of experimental design?

Some common types of experimental design include: pre-experimental design (with no control group), true experimental design (with a control group and random assignment), quasi-experimental design (with a control group but no random assignment), and factorial design (with multiple independent variables). Within these categories, there are also various specific designs such as between-subjects, within-subjects, and mixed designs.