Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does "ignore" do?

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1

Ibix

Science Advisor

As per thread title - what does the "ignore" function do? Would I be able to tell if a user has chosen to "ignore" me, as opposed to just not paying attention to a word I write?

I couldn't find an answer to this, which may be my own incompetence. Happy to be told to RTFM, but would appreciate a link to TFM that I need to R.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    Threads and posts by the user won't be displayed

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

Thanks Greg.

If I go to your profile page I can see whether or not you are following me. Can I also see if you are ignoring me? Obviously you're not because you're answering me, but hypothetically. If someone were ignoring you, would this thread have non-continuous post numbering (they would see post #1 and post #3 and be able to infer the existence of post #2)? Or would they just see my posts numbered as #1 and #2?

Presumably PMs get dropped too.

5. Feb 9, 2016 #4
    I don't know the details, I've never ignored anyone :biggrin:

6. Feb 9, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think you can see if someone ignores you. For testing purposes, I ignored you, so you can check. Your thread disappears from the forum view, and the post counts get discontinuous: I see #1 (but not its content), #2 and #4. There is a button to show the ignored content.

ignore.png

7. Feb 9, 2016 #6
    Ignore me?! I ignore you TWO times over!!! :mad:

In your general direction!

8. Feb 9, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My wife has one of those "ignore" buttons. I can tell from the glazed look on her face sometimes that she has pushed it and she doesn't listen to a damn thing I say.

9. Feb 10, 2016 #8

Drakkith

My question is if she's ever had it not toggled on... :rolleyes:
    Or maybe it's one of those buttons that are only off when held down, after which it defaults to its "on" state.

10. Feb 11, 2016 #9

Ibix

Science Advisor

Thanks for your investigations. I couldn't see anything to suggest you were ignoring me from my end, although if you've "unignored" me I suppose it's possible the software is smart enough to cancel a "you are being ignored" alert if it gets undone before I checked my alerts.

11. Feb 12, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

I kept you ignored for the test, and unignored you now.
    Works as I expected.

12. Feb 12, 2016 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Zz.

13. Feb 14, 2016 #12

Ibix

Science Advisor

Thanks, mfb.

On a re-read of the thread I was thinking of I can see I'm not being "ignore"d, just mostly ignored in the old fashioned way. Interesting to know that the ignore function is silent, anyway. Is that a behaviour we want? Is there a use for an ignore function on an actively moderated site like this?

Not sure that either of those necessarily need an answer, but maybe food for thought.

14. Feb 14, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

Well, if you want to ignore someone, you have the option to do so in an automatic way.
    You still see replies from others to those posts, of course.

Personally, I just used the ignore option once (different forum, not here), mainly to ignore future private messages from the ignored person.
    As mentor I cannot ignore others here, but I would not have used it otherwise either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook