What Does "Ignore" Do? FAQs

• Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary, the "ignore" function on a forum allows a user to ignore someone without seeing their posts or replies.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
As per thread title - what does the "ignore" function do? Would I be able to tell if a user has chosen to "ignore" me, as opposed to just not paying attention to a word I write?

I couldn't find an answer to this, which may be my own incompetence. Happy to be told to RTFM, but would appreciate a link to TFM that I need to R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Greg.

If I go to your profile page I can see whether or not you are following me. Can I also see if you are ignoring me? Obviously you're not because you're answering me, but hypothetically. If someone were ignoring you, would this thread have non-continuous post numbering (they would see post #1 and post #3 and be able to infer the existence of post #2)? Or would they just see my posts numbered as #1 and #2?

Presumably PMs get dropped too.

I don't think you can see if someone ignores you. For testing purposes, I ignored you, so you can check. Your thread disappears from the forum view, and the post counts get discontinuous: I see #1 (but not its content), #2 and #4. There is a button to show the ignored content.

ignore.png

Likes Ibix and Greg Bernhardt
Ignore me?! I ignore you TWO times over! :mad:

In your general direction!

My wife has one of those "ignore" buttons. I can tell from the glazed look on her face sometimes that she has pushed it and she doesn't listen to a damn thing I say.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
My wife has one of those "ignore" buttons. I can tell from the glazed look on her face sometimes that she has pushed it and she doesn't listen to a damn thing I say.

My question is if she's ever had it not toggled on... :rolleyes:
Or maybe it's one of those buttons that are only off when held down, after which it defaults to its "on" state.

Likes davenn
mfb said:
I don't think you can see if someone ignores you. For testing purposes, I ignored you, so you can check. Your thread disappears from the forum view, and the post counts get discontinuous: I see #1 (but not its content), #2 and #4. There is a button to show the ignored content.
Thanks for your investigations. I couldn't see anything to suggest you were ignoring me from my end, although if you've "unignored" me I suppose it's possible the software is smart enough to cancel a "you are being ignored" alert if it gets undone before I checked my alerts.

I kept you ignored for the test, and unignored you now.
Works as I expected.

Likes Ibix
phinds said:

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Zz.

Likes cnh1995 and phinds
Thanks, mfb.

On a re-read of the thread I was thinking of I can see I'm not being "ignore"d, just mostly ignored in the old fashioned way. Interesting to know that the ignore function is silent, anyway. Is that a behaviour we want? Is there a use for an ignore function on an actively moderated site like this?

Not sure that either of those necessarily need an answer, but maybe food for thought.

Well, if you want to ignore someone, you have the option to do so in an automatic way.
You still see replies from others to those posts, of course.

Personally, I just used the ignore option once (different forum, not here), mainly to ignore future private messages from the ignored person.
As mentor I cannot ignore others here, but I would not have used it otherwise either.

What is the purpose of the "Ignore" function?

The "Ignore" function allows the user to exclude certain data or information from being considered or processed, usually in the context of a computer program or algorithm.

How does the "Ignore" function work?

The "Ignore" function works by filtering out specific data or information based on predetermined criteria. This can be done manually by the user or automatically by the program.

In what situations is the "Ignore" function typically used?

The "Ignore" function is commonly used in data analysis and processing, spam filtering, and content moderation, among others. It can also be used in personal settings, such as muting notifications from certain contacts on social media.

What are the benefits of using the "Ignore" function?

The "Ignore" function allows for more efficient and accurate data processing by eliminating irrelevant or unwanted information. It also helps to reduce noise and distractions, leading to a better user experience.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to the "Ignore" function?

One potential drawback of using the "Ignore" function is the risk of excluding important information that may be relevant in some cases. Additionally, the criteria for ignoring data may need to be constantly updated to ensure effectiveness.