Understanding Im(z)^2: Clarifying the Calculation in Your Textbook

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion of whether to find the square of the imaginary part of z or the imaginary part of z2. The participants suggest different interpretations and possible answers, with one suggesting to give both interpretations and answers. One participant also mentions that the writer may have been sloppy in their notation. Ultimately, it is recommended to clarify with the textbook or use the notation ##(\operatorname{Im} z)^2## for the square of the imaginary part of z and ##\operatorname{Im}z^2## for the imaginary part of ##z^2##.
johann1301
Just wondering what my textbook wants me to do with:

Im(z)2

Im i supposed to find the square of the imaginary part of z, or the imaginary part of z2?

Does Im(z)2 equal (Im(z))2 or Im(z2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
johann1301 said:
Just wondering what my textbook wants me to do with:

Im(z)2

Im i supposed to find the square of the imaginary part of z, or the imaginary part of z2?

Does Im(z)2 equal (Im(z))2 or Im(z2) ?

I woulds guess that the imaginary part of ##z^2## would be written as ##\text{Im}(z^2)##, so I would guess that you are being asked for ##(\text{Im}(z))^2##. However, when in doubt, why not give both interpretations and both answers?

Ray Vickson said:
I woulds guess that the imaginary part of ##z^2## would be written as ##\text{Im}(z^2)##, so I would guess that you are being asked for ##(\text{Im}(z))^2##. However, when in doubt, why not give both interpretations and both answers?

Yez, that would be the right way to go! I guess i was wondering if there were any strict rules. Also, perhaps it could be expressed in a similar manner as (sin(x))2, that is - most of the time - written as sin2x. Perhaps there is a standard for Im2(z) as well?

I am inclined to think a book would want Im(z2), for a simple reason: finding Im(z) and then squaring it isn't much of an exercise. Finding the imaginary part of z2 is a bit more serious.
However, this is just an opinion. I'd have to flip through the book to see if the writer is that sloppy in more places...

##\operatorname{Im}(z)^2## is a really weird notation. I would use ##(\operatorname{Im} z)^2## for the square of the imaginary part of z, and ##\operatorname{Im}z^2## for the imaginary part of ##z^2##.

1. What is the purpose of understanding Im(z)^2?

The purpose of understanding Im(z)^2 is to properly calculate the imaginary part of a complex number squared. This is a common operation in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations.

2. How is Im(z)^2 calculated?

To calculate Im(z)^2, you first find the imaginary part of the complex number z, which is the coefficient of the imaginary unit 'i'. Then, you square this value to get the final result.

3. Why is Im(z)^2 sometimes confusing?

Some textbooks or resources may present the calculation of Im(z)^2 in a confusing or unclear manner, leading to misunderstandings. Additionally, since the notation for complex numbers can vary, it may be difficult to recognize the operation being performed.

4. Are there any common mistakes when calculating Im(z)^2?

One common mistake when calculating Im(z)^2 is forgetting to square the imaginary part of the complex number. Another mistake is not recognizing the notation for a complex number and not properly identifying the imaginary part.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Im(z)^2?

To improve your understanding of Im(z)^2, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with complex numbers and their notation. You can also seek clarification from your teacher or refer to reliable resources for further explanation.