Understanding the Role of Invertor Duty in Variable Frequency Drives

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
In summary, Invertor duty motors are used to clean up the harmonic distortions caused by the drives. This is important in order to prevent the motors from burning up.
Artman
What does "invertor duty" do?

I know that invertor duty motors should be used when Variable Frequency Drives are used. What I don't know is why.

What does invertor duty do?

I think it has something to do with cleaning up the harmonic distortions caused by the drives. Is this it?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Artman
I know that invertor duty motors should be used when Variable Frequency Drives are used. What I don't know is why.

What does invertor duty do?

I think it has something to do with cleaning up the harmonic distortions caused by the drives. Is this it?

This is not a uniformly defined concept. Typically, it addresses the following:

Lower packing factors for the windings; to allow for more cooling.

Higher insulation ratings for the wire; for HV spikes caused by the PWM or PFM in the drive.

Greater cooling capacity.

Bearing shunts to prevent induced transient currents [again from the high frequency switching in the VFD] from passing through the bearing.

In addition to the electrical characteristics, the cooling is a major issue. Normally, a rule of thumb applies that we never run a motor at more than twice or less than half the rated value for sustained periods. VFDs allow much lower motor speed than was typically found in the past - before VFDs. So what happens is that people will try to run a motor a 5 or 10 Hz [~150 to 300 RPM], and the internal fan in the motor provides little to no cooling at these speeds. If we are under load at 10 Hz for example, the motor burns up.

Always check with the specific motor manufacturer to identify the lowest or highest rating for motor speed under a specified load.

Last edited:
Thanks Ivan. Everything you said makes sense. I will pass alkong the info to the guy who asked me (I told someone that VFDs required invertor duty rated motors and he said "Why?" I wasn't really sure, I just knew they did.)

Thanks again.

Always glad to help if I can. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of invertor duty?

Invertor duty is a term used in electrical engineering to describe the ability of a piece of equipment, such as a transformer or motor, to withstand the stresses and heat generated during the operation of an inverter.

2. How does invertor duty differ from regular duty?

Invertor duty equipment is designed to handle the unique conditions created by the operation of an inverter, such as high frequency switching and harmonic currents. Regular duty equipment does not have the same level of protection and may fail when used with an inverter.

3. What factors determine the level of invertor duty needed?

The level of invertor duty required depends on the type and power rating of the inverter, the voltage and frequency of the input power, and the load characteristics. In general, higher frequency and voltage levels require equipment with higher invertor duty ratings.

4. How is invertor duty tested and rated?

Invertor duty equipment is tested and rated using standardized procedures, such as those outlined in IEEE and IEC standards. These tests simulate the conditions created by the operation of an inverter and determine the equipment's ability to withstand them. The invertor duty rating is then assigned based on the results of these tests.

5. Is invertor duty important for all types of electrical equipment?

While invertor duty is primarily associated with transformers and motors, it is also important for other types of equipment, such as capacitors, reactors, and cables. Any equipment that will be used with an inverter should have an appropriate invertor duty rating to ensure reliable operation and prevent damage.