Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does invertor duty do?

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    What does "invertor duty" do?

I know that invertor duty motors should be used when Variable Frequency Drives are used. What I don't know is why.

What does invertor duty do?

I think it has something to do with cleaning up the harmonic distortions caused by the drives. Is this it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What does "invertor duty" do?

This is not a uniformly defined concept. Typically, it addresses the following:

Lower packing factors for the windings; to allow for more cooling.

Higher insulation ratings for the wire; for HV spikes caused by the PWM or PFM in the drive.

Greater cooling capacity.

Bearing shunts to prevent induced transient currents [again from the high frequency switching in the VFD] from passing through the bearing.

In addition to the electrical characteristics, the cooling is a major issue. Normally, a rule of thumb applies that we never run a motor at more than twice or less than half the rated value for sustained periods. VFDs allow much lower motor speed than was typically found in the past - before VFDs. So what happens is that people will try to run a motor a 5 or 10 Hz [~150 to 300 RPM], and the internal fan in the motor provides little to no cooling at these speeds. If we are under load at 10 Hz for example, the motor burns up.

Always check with the specific motor manufacturer to identify the lowest or highest rating for motor speed under a specified load.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  4. Aug 18, 2003 #3
    Thanks Ivan. Everything you said makes sense. I will pass alkong the info to the guy who asked me (I told someone that VFDs required invertor duty rated motors and he said "Why?" I wasn't really sure, I just knew they did.)

Thanks again.

5. Aug 18, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Always glad to help if I can. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?