What does it mean for one to impotent

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, Impotence, or the inability to achieve and maintain an erection for intercourse, does not necessarily mean infertility. Infertility refers to a low number of viable sperm, which can be caused by various factors such as high temperatures, fever, or underlying medical conditions. Infertility can also be temporary, as the full process of sperm production takes about 30 days. A diagnosis of infertility is not made from just one sample, but rather a consistent pattern of low sperm count. Treatment for underlying conditions, such as varicocele, can greatly improve fertility rates and chances of pregnancy.
mathelord
what does it mean for one to impotent,if an impotent man has sex will he release any sperm at all,let me know

Biology news on Phys.org
I had a condition as a young man where my sperm were being overheated by excess veins in my testes. I don't know if the sperm were killed or just rendered inactive by this, but the result was that I was rendered infertile. I couldn't sire children. But I was not impotent, since I could have erections and achieve penetration and ejaculation in intercourse. My problem was fixed by an outpatient operation which tied off the extra veins; from then on I was fertile and my wife and I had two children.

Impotence and infertility are two different things. Impotence refers to the inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for intercourse (a partial erection could still occur, but not sufficient to achieve vaginal penetration). Someone who is impotent can still be fertile, in other words, they can still produce viable sperm.

Someone who is infertile does not have sufficient numbers of viable sperm to make pregnancy likely (although, a diagnosis of infertility does not mean it is completely impossible; the diagnosis is made once the number of viable sperm goes below a certain threshold number, but one shouldn't assume there are NO viable sperm). One can also be temporarily infertile, due to things like high temperatures/fevers. The full process of sperm production in humans takes about 30 days, so if you have had a high fever that killed off a lot of sperm in the last 30 days and get tested for fertility, you could get a diagnosis of being infertile although by the end of that 30 day period, your fertility would be returning to normal. As selfAdjoint has pointed out, someone who is infertile can still achieve erections and even ejaculate, but the seminal fluids will not contain sperm, or will contain very low numbers of sperm.

selfAdjoint said:
I had a condition as a young man where my sperm were being overheated by excess veins in my testes. I don't know if the sperm were killed or just rendered inactive by this, but the result was that I was rendered infertile. I couldn't sire children. But I was not impotent, since I could have erections and achieve penetration and ejaculation in intercourse. My problem was fixed by an outpatient operation which tied off the extra veins; from then on I was fertile and my wife and I had two children.
I am not really sure but if what you said is truthful, I think you have varicocelle. Your testes must be smaller than usual and it is really strange to me to hear that your operation was carried out only once and you could easily impregnate your wife, since I know this varicocelle would kill most of your sperm produced before they can leave their home. It doesn't mean, however, having a varicocelle is the same as infertility, only that 30% infertilized men will have varicocelle on one or both testes...Admittedly, being able to achieve two goals after all showing that you are a very lucky man anyway. :biggrin:
I think that it is a little hard for impotent patients to ejaculate...

the issue of infertility what are the causes,and how can it be figured immediately.example if one has sex and releases just few sperm,is he infertile,now will the amount of sperm released by a boy let's say 17 and a man like 28 be the same,how about the thickness.let me know.also if one has sex like everyday,does he stand a chance to be infertile,i want to get things cleared about infertility and impotence.so do not get bothered

Emieno said:
I am not really sure but if what you said is truthful, I think you have varicocelle. Your testes must be smaller than usual and it is really strange to me to hear that your operation was carried out only once and you could easily impregnate your wife, since I know this varicocelle would kill most of your sperm produced before they can leave their home. It doesn't mean, however, having a varicocelle is the same as infertility, only that 30% infertilized men will have varicocelle on one or both testes...Admittedly, being able to achieve two goals after all showing that you are a very lucky man anyway. :biggrin:

Once the hostile environment for sperm development is corrected, fertility can be surprisingly improved.

Semen improvement is expected in up to 70% of men and pregnancy in up to 60% of couples within the first two years after successful repair (study by Madagar et al. Fertility & Sterility, vol.63, no., 1995). Even in men with worst case scenarios( ie: no sperm in the ejacilate or no moving sperm,) varicocele repair restored sperm or motility in 55-69% of patients. (Twenty percent of these men were able to father children after varicocele repair without any other assistance.)

Last edited:
mathelord said:
the issue of infertility what are the causes,and how can it be figured immediately.example if one has sex and releases just few sperm,is he infertile,now will the amount of sperm released by a boy let's say 17 and a man like 28 be the same,how about the thickness.let me know.also if one has sex like everyday,does he stand a chance to be infertile,i want to get things cleared about infertility and impotence.so do not get bothered

A diagnosis of infertility is not likely to be made from just one sample of ejaculate; it needs to be something consistently happening. A physician will take a careful and detailed medical history to determine if the patient may have been exposed to anything in the past 30 days or so that might be an obvious culprit (an illness with fever, working with some chemicals, any medications that might affect sperm production, is he a smoker, etc.).

Infertility is also determined by normal sperm counts, so there can still be a lot of sperm present, but if they are all abnormal in some way (two heads, two tails, swim in circles rather than straight lines, dead), a diagnosis of infertility will still be made.

Sperm are produced continuously and there's a new supply ready every day, so frequency of sex will not leave you infertile. Although, if you ejaculate many times in a day, that day's sperm count would be lower if tested in the last rather than the first ejaculation of the day. This is not an indication of infertility, as all of the other ejaculate still contains plenty of sperm. When someone is being evaluated for infertility, they will be asked to abstain from sex or masturbation for 24 to 48 hours prior to collecting the sample for testing.

Emieno said:

Yes it was a varicocele, described to me as a knot of extra blood vessels. I used extra veins in my description because most people have never heard of a varicocele. The sequence of events was exactly as I have stated. My wife became pregnant with our first child only two or three months after the operation.

What does it mean for one to be impotent?

Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction, is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse. It can also refer to a lack of sexual desire or difficulty reaching orgasm.

What are the causes of impotence?

Impotence can be caused by physical factors such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and neurological disorders. Psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, and depression can also contribute to impotence.

Can impotence be treated?

Yes, impotence can be treated. Treatment options include medication, lifestyle changes, therapy, and surgery. The best treatment plan will depend on the underlying cause of impotence.

Is impotence a common problem?

Yes, impotence is a common problem, especially among older men. It is estimated that 30 million men in the United States experience impotence at some point in their lives.

Can women also experience impotence?

While impotence is commonly associated with men, women can also experience similar issues with sexual function. This is known as female sexual dysfunction and can have physical or psychological causes.