What does it mean for there to be uniform pressure?

In summary, the problem involves a closed hemispherical shell filled with fluid at uniform pressure p. The net force of the fluid on the curved portion of the shell is given by an unspecified equation, and the pressure throughout the fluid is assumed to be constant. This simplification is likely intended to make the problem easier for the student to solve.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

A closed hemispherical shell of radius R is filled with fluid at uniform pressure p. The net force of the fluid on the curved portion of the shell is given by:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not even posting the answers because I'm not looking to get an answer.

I don't understand what it means for the fluid to be "at uniform pressure p".

At any height beneath the surface of this hemispherical shell, shouldn't the pressure be the sum of the weight of the water above it plus atmospheric pressure?

What does the uniform pressure, ## p ## mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that the object is in space with no significant gravity and the fluid is stationary so there are no dynamic fluid forces.
Just assume the pressure is the same at all points in the fluid.

Likes CWatters and jbriggs444
I would assume the same

eprparadox said:
weight of the water
It does not specify water. A fluid can be a gas, so the variation in pressure may be negligible.

It is likely to make the problem a lot easier :-)

It most likely means that fluid pressure is not variable across the shell, at all points of the shells surface the pressure is not polarized to anyone particular sector of it .

It is probably to make the question easier

What is uniform pressure?

Uniform pressure refers to the consistent distribution of force or weight over a given area. This means that the pressure remains the same at every point within the area.

How is uniform pressure measured?

Uniform pressure is typically measured in units of force per area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). These measurements can be obtained using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or sensors.

What are the applications of uniform pressure?

Uniform pressure plays a crucial role in many scientific and engineering fields, such as fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and structural engineering. It is also important in everyday applications, such as tire pressure in vehicles and blood pressure in the human body.

What factors can affect uniform pressure?

Uniform pressure can be affected by various factors, including the force applied, the size and shape of the area, and the properties of the material being pressed. External factors such as temperature and altitude can also impact uniform pressure.

What are the consequences of non-uniform pressure?

Non-uniform pressure can lead to imbalances and uneven distribution of force, which can result in structural failure or inefficient functioning of systems. In some cases, it can also cause discomfort or harm to living organisms, such as uneven blood flow in the body.