What does it mean to be mature?

• Thread starter Smasherman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: Though these are certainly good qualities to have, I don't understand the connection to maturity. he sure seems a bit pissy lately doesn't he?Yeah, maybe he's having those bladder control issues again.
Smasherman
I've been called a few things in my day (not a lot of 'em, but hey...), and "mature" seems to be a common one. So, I ask, what does it actually mean to be "mature"?

Physics news on Phys.org
My age; whatever that happens to be at the moment.

Usually people are referring to your maturity level as opposed to your age. For example, if you are a very responsible person at age 16, you might be considered mature on that basis. You might be considered mature as a function of your interests. You might be considered mature based on your demeanor... So I think its a term relative to the context; if there is one.

Last edited:
maturity is when you realize that making thread asking about it is immature

Isn't it past your bedtime yommama?

he sure seems a bit pissy lately doesn't he?

1. not being too influenced by whatever is happening around you and just do the right thing!:bugeye:
2. not commenting on what yu have no idea about.
Therefore, I shouldn't post in your thread! :biggrin:

Smasherman said:
I've been called a few things in my day (not a lot of 'em, but hey...), and "mature" seems to be a common one. So, I ask, what does it actually mean to be "mature"?
Probably being responsible is a common meaning. Along with that goes being deliberate, thoughtful, considerate, dependable, sincere, respectful, honest, using careful consideration and sound or good judgement, and basically being a decent person. Lisa!'s first definition would apply.

thoughtful, considerate, sincere...?

HONEST?

It would seem that you feel that there are many immature, old, business tycoons?

I had one employer who blatently tried to shame me for my naivety, for being honest; and over nothing of consequence no less.

Last edited:
Though these are certainly good qualities to have, I don't understand the connection to maturity.

tribdog said:
Yeah, maybe he's having those bladder control issues again.

Last edited:
Maturity, I vaguely define as having:

*Capacity for reason (in other words-->critical thinking), and
*Willpower (to act upon the reason<--as concluded from that 'critical thinking')

tribdog said:

Maybe it's cos you were mean to him in the "thread killer" thread. Or cos I :rofl:ed at it.

Maturity makes things less fun. It is something I lack. I still run around my flat making monkey noises.

I suppose maturity is a measure of how adult you are. But how do you judge that? Who was the most mature person ever, who is the benchmark for everyone else's maturity?

Anyway, immaturity is better. It has become my new way of meeting people. To quote Seinfeld (seeing as FredGarvin did in another thread)

"So, do you date immature men?"
"Almost exclusively."

If it works for him, it has to work for me. :biggrin:

It's not about mature or immature, it's mainly about affection one has and it never I blive apprears in those who don't even feel or understand what is a true affection for even a thing !

yomamma said:
maturity is when you realize that making thread asking about it is immature
Who's yommama, btw?:tongue2:

Lisa! said:
Who's yommama, btw?:tongue2:

I don't know, I was just spawned in a pool with my brothers and sisters. No, wait, that's tadpoles.

Maturity is not hijacking someone else's thread! :biggrin:

jimmy p said:
I don't know, I was just spawned in a pool with my brothers and sisters. No, wait, that's tadpoles.

Maturity is not hijacking someone else's thread! :biggrin:
Yep! And it's not also mature to call someone else immature even if he is!:tongue2:

Lisa! said:
Yep! And it's not also mature to call someone else immature even if he is!:tongue2:

Well it CERTAINLY isn't mature to point out that calling someone else immature when he is, is immature. :tongue:

fake chris, why are you still talking to like that ?

Who is fake chris?

well, being argumentative alos couldn't be mature. So I guess I'm out of here!

Lisa! said:
well, being argumentative alos couldn't be mature. So I guess I'm out of here!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was only playing around!

which is immature in itself.

Anyway, back on topic. Maturity is knowing the correct way to act in the correct circumstances.

Ivan Seeking said:
thoughtful, considerate, sincere...?

HONEST?
I was reflecting on the qualities of a mature or developed person. One could refer to 'mature' as meaning that one has come of a certain age, i.e. seasoned or experienced.

Thoughtfulness and consideration, as well as the capacity for critical thinking (a good point made by bomba923), come from achieving a certain level of development. I would also add the quality of discipline, which goes with the willpower also mentioned by bomba923.

Ivan Seeking said:
It would seem that you feel that there are many immature, old, business tycoons?
In some, perhaps many, cases - yes! Donald Trump comes to mind as an example.

Ivan Seeking said:
I had one employer who blatantly tried to shame me for my naivety, for being honest; and over nothing of consequence no less.
Not very mature behavior on the part of that employer.

Interesting. For me, this is more a matter of choosing what kind of person one will be rather than an issue of maturity. I believe that most adults make mature decisions to be either good people, or bad people. With every choice that we make we define who and what we are.

Ivan Seeking said:
Interesting. For me, this is more a matter of choosing what kind of person one will be rather than an issue of maturity. I believe that most adults make mature decisions to be either good people, or bad people. With every choice that we make we define who and what we are.
I more or less agree with that. One chooses to be what or who one is - certainly.

Astronuc said:
I more or less agree with that. One chooses to be what or who one is - certainly.

However you aren't the judge of your maturity. It is other people looking at your actions and deciding for themselves.

jimmy p said:
However you aren't the judge of your maturity. It is other people looking at your actions and deciding for themselves.
I am my own judge. I often reflect on how I behave, who I am in the world, and how I and my actions affect those around me and world as a whole.

Certainly, I cannot control how other people judge me, nor do I wish to do so. I would hope I am judged fairly, as I give others the benefit of doubt.

Another characteristic I would add to the list is - diligent - characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort.

Last edited:
Thank you for your posts (all of them, whether informative or entertaining). It seems that maturity is just acting with forethought. Regardless, I'm not going to dwell on the definition anymore, as it's just a label. Useful for quick information bits or manipulation, but non-material.

1. What are the characteristics of a mature person?

A mature person is typically emotionally stable, responsible, and able to handle difficult situations with grace. They are also able to make decisions independently and take responsibility for their actions.

2. How can one develop maturity?

Maturity can be developed through experiences and self-reflection. It involves recognizing and learning from mistakes, taking on responsibilities, and actively working on personal growth.

3. Can maturity be measured?

There is no universal measurement for maturity as it is a complex concept that differs from person to person. However, some psychological assessments may include aspects of maturity in their evaluations.

4. Is there a certain age at which one should be considered mature?

No, maturity is not solely based on age. It is a combination of factors such as experiences, emotional intelligence, and personal growth. Some people may exhibit maturity at a younger age while others may take longer to develop it.

5. Can a person lose their maturity?

Maturity is not a fixed trait and can fluctuate throughout a person's life. Factors such as trauma, stress, and personal struggles can affect one's level of maturity. However, with self-awareness and effort, it can be regained.