Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean when they say

1. Jul 19, 2003 #1
    "bloody"? I mean whenever I hear an englishman speak in a movie, they always say "bloody", as though it were an epithet or insult of some kind.

What does it mean? Is it profane/vulgar to use it in that way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm curious too; it certainly fills the role of a purely emphatic word, but it's unclear (to me anyways) whether the appropriate connotation would be:

It's darned hot out here!

It's <other word I won't type> hot out here!

I'm curious about the French word "donc" too, if anyone knows.
  4. Jul 19, 2003 #3

Bloody awesome thread! I too wanna know please?
    Dx :wink:
  5. Jul 19, 2003 #4
    I think "donc" means the same thing as par consequent, which means "consequently" or "hence".

Not positive though.
  6. Jul 19, 2003 #5
    Not sure how too explain what it actually means but here are a few examples to help;

Its Bloody hot in here.

Thats a bloody big gun.

Thats a bloody fast car.

A bloody stupid thing to do.

Could easily replace bloody with damn and it would still have the same effect.
  7. Jul 19, 2003 #6
    In these contexts, you could easily replace bloody with fvckin'.

It's fvckin' hot in here.

That's a fvckin' big gun.

That's a fvckin' fast car.

A fvckin' stupid thing to do.

8. Jul 19, 2003 #7
    Thats Bloody Distasteful!
  9. Jul 19, 2003 #8
    Andy, I had been hoping you'd post. I have one question for you though: is it profane, or vulgar, to use the term "bloody" as in your examples (after all, entropy is right, you could replace it with one of the most vulgar terms in American-English (and I make the distinction very clear, they are practically different languages )).
  10. Jul 19, 2003 #9

Science Advisor

I have always been under the oppression that "bloody" is one of the more vulgar terms in English (English English, that is). I know that in British films that I have seen in America, words that would not be permitted on regular television are left in, while the word "bloody" is censored.

A friend of mine did some research and returned to me with the conclusion that the word itself has its roots in the phrase "by our Lady". I would have dismissed the suggestion, but this particular friend is a singularly reliable source, so I suspect he is correct.

Can anyone here recall who it was that said the famous quote, "Great Britain and America are the only two nations to be separated by a common language"?
  11. Jul 19, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny that I would see this thread just as I heard the folowing:
    "F..ken eh" is New Jerseian for "INDEED!"
  12. Jul 20, 2003 #11
    Are you blokes done with this bloody thread yet?
  13. Jul 20, 2003 #12
    Using the Oxford English Dictionary,

Bloody, brit, coarse slang.
    Expressing an annoyance or antipathy, or as an intensive (a bloody shame)

Bloody is used alot in England but most people dont think it is that bad to say the word bloody, maybe back many years ago it was considered bad to say the word bloody but now it isnt, in future years will **** be acceptable?

And no i dont think it is profane or vulgar, not any more anyway.
  14. Jul 20, 2003 #13
    frenchies say 'donc' at the end of questions as an expression of annoyance, exasperation, 'mais c'est ou donc?' would be 'where the hell is it?'
  15. Jul 20, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"apples and pears"

translation Brits?

[I hope what I am about to claim is true ]
  16. Jul 20, 2003 #15
    Okay, I took a class in Advanced Semiconductor Physics from a professor who is English. Oddly enough, his life story appeared on the BBC shows 7 Up, 14 Up, 21 Up, 28 Up, and so on... by multiples of 7... you get the picture. Anyway he was a funny guy, and a good professor, if you understand English humor. He was always phrases like back 'er off you bloody bastard.

One time he told us this joke. It went like this.... So a English WWII pilot went to an all girls school to tell the girls about the history of the Second World War.

He started off telling his story, "I was flying over Germany, and suddenly I looked over my left shoulder and saw these two fokkers."

The school master quickly interupted and explained to the girls that fokkers were a type of fighter plane that Germans used during WWII.

Then the pilot resumed his story, "Right, so like I said, I looked over my left shoulder and these two fokkers in a messerschmidt!"

17. Jul 20, 2003 #16
    Theres no Humour like English Humour, just look at monty python.
  18. Jul 20, 2003 #17
    thats easy

heres a few more;

nuclear sub

liza manelly (or custard and jelly)

skin and blister

loaf of bread.

mostly only the non rhyming part is used as slang. it probably the cleverest thing a cockney can do.

oh yeh and bloddy aint offensive and its never censored on our custard.
  19. Jul 21, 2003 #18
    haha true, when i lived in france i saw holy grail on tv with french subtitles, they were so clueless alot of it wasn't even subtitled, they just gave up.

the best thing about the french is that they are clueless when it comes to humour about the french, it took me ages to explain that when people said frogs they meant the french. i couldn't even begin to explain the french guard scenes in that movie...

the only rhyming slang i ever learnt was 'take a captain cook' ('take a look', obviously only pertinent in australia), in primary school our teacher tried to teach it to us but it went way over our heads.
  20. Jul 21, 2003 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Could that be a variant of the old one about King Geoge VI awarding a medal to an RAF pilot. The king, who stuttered, say "F-f-for s-shooting d-down t-three F-fokkers", and the pilot interrupts "It was five Fokkers", and the king replies (W-well, y-you're g-getting one f-fokking m-medal!"
  21. Jul 21, 2003 #20
    donc in french is the interjection "therefore". Due to the inverted sentence structure it frequently comes at the end of a sentence instead of the way it would be in english.

And since we're on english words, what is a wanker? I know it's an insult, but what exactly does that mean? Time to brush up on my cockney

Another curious fact I learned was about holding 2 fingers up, is the way the english give the finger. In America, it just signifies 2- as in you want 2 of something. Try telling some english waitress you want TWO beers that way and see if she doesn't dump them on your head
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?