What does Metric Prefix mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "metric prefix" and its relationship to standard notation and scientific notation. The conversation also mentions a homework problem and provides a link for a list of metric prefixes.
IB
What does "Metric Prefix" mean?

Hi everyone.

Could someone please tell me what "metric prefix" means? Today was my first day in IBH Physics, but the teacher didn't give us textbooks yet so I have no source of reference. I'm now doing the first homework, which is a long maths packet. I come across a problem that asks "complete the following table". They give me "Standard Notation", "Scientific Notation", and "Metric Prefix. I can convert standard notation to scientific notation with ease, but I don't know what "metric prefix" is...

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
it is probably referring to the powers of 10 prefixes, like,

in no particular order,
Mega, Kilo, Giga, nano, centi, milli, ...

For a better list,
http://www.essex1.com/people/speer/large.html

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: OK. I got it that problem all done. Thanks to your help and the link you gave! :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a Metric Prefix?

A Metric Prefix is a symbol or word that is added to the front of a unit of measurement to indicate a multiple or fraction of that unit.

2. What are the most commonly used Metric Prefixes?

The most commonly used Metric Prefixes are kilo (k), centi (c), milli (m), and micro (μ).

3. How do Metric Prefixes affect the value of a unit?

Metric Prefixes affect the value of a unit by either increasing or decreasing it by a factor of 10. For example, kilo increases a unit by 1000, while milli decreases a unit by 1000.

4. Why are Metric Prefixes used?

Metric Prefixes are used to make measurements easier to understand and work with by creating a standardized system of multiples and fractions.

5. What is the difference between Metric Prefixes and SI Prefixes?

Metric Prefixes and SI Prefixes are essentially the same, but SI Prefixes are specifically used in the International System of Units (SI) while Metric Prefixes can be used in any measurement system.