What is the meaning of nonpermeable in Jackson's Section 5.10?

• Thread starter Old Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the term "magnetically non-permeable" refers to a material with the same magnetic permeability as free space, resulting in zero magnetization. This does not necessarily mean that there is no external magnetic or magnetic field, but rather that there is no source of these fields external to the material.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

I'm reading Jackson Section 5.10, where he solves for a uniformly magnetized sphere "embedded in a nonpermeable medium." I'm not looking for an example, but to understand what it means. It can't mean there is no B or H field external to the sphere; in fact, Jackson has a figure showing field lines. Does it perhaps mean that there is no source of B or H external to the sphere? But if that's the case, wouldn't the exterior region be free space which has a permeability?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of magnetically non-permeable is that the material has the same magnetic permeability of free space [itex]\mu=\mu_0[/itex], and hence will have zero magnetization.

Thanks, I can accept that. Just seems like an odd choice of words (or maybe my many years working with fluid flow in porous media . . .)

1. What is the definition of nonpermeable?

Nonpermeable refers to a material or surface that does not allow substances to pass through it, making it impermeable or resistant to penetration.

2. What are some examples of nonpermeable materials?

Some examples of nonpermeable materials include plastic, glass, metal, and rubber.

3. How is nonpermeable different from permeable?

Nonpermeable materials do not allow substances to pass through, while permeable materials allow substances to pass through or be absorbed.

4. Can a nonpermeable material become permeable?

In some cases, a nonpermeable material can become permeable through factors such as wear and tear, damage, or chemical reactions that alter the structure of the material.

5. How is nonpermeable used in scientific research?

Nonpermeable materials are commonly used in scientific research to create barriers or containers that prevent substances from escaping or entering, allowing for controlled experiments and accurate measurements.