1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does nonpermeable mean?

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reading Jackson Section 5.10, where he solves for a uniformly magnetized sphere "embedded in a nonpermeable medium." I'm not looking for an example, but to understand what it means. It can't mean there is no B or H field external to the sphere; in fact, Jackson has a figure showing field lines. Does it perhaps mean that there is no source of B or H external to the sphere? But if that's the case, wouldn't the exterior region be free space which has a permeability?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definition of magnetically non-permeable is that the material has the same magnetic permeability of free space [itex]\mu=\mu_0[/itex], and hence will have zero magnetization.

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I can accept that. Just seems like an odd choice of words (or maybe my many years working with fluid flow in porous media . . .)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook