Q* Meaning in Math: Understand the Concept

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, "Q*" in math refers to the set of positive rational numbers, while "Q" can include both positive and negative rational numbers. A number in "Q*" can be written as a ratio of two integers and is positive. "Q*" can be represented on a number line by marking the positive rational numbers, and it is an important concept in math because it is used in everyday calculations and applications.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

In Grimaldis discrete math book he asks

Determine which of the statements are true which are false:

ℚ*∩ ℤ = ℤ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

he never explained in his book what * represents.

I tried google "what does Q* mean in mathematics" and "Q* in mathematics" with no luck. Does anyone know what he means with *? My first thought was its both Q+ and Q- but I don't think it is -l.-

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that ℚ* is the set of non-zero rational numbers. (According to the Appendix)

Do you have a copy of Grimaldi's textbook?

Last edited:

What does "Q*" mean in math?

The symbol "Q*" in math typically refers to the set of rational numbers. These are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as 1/2 or 3/4.

How is "Q*" different from "Q" in math?

The symbol "Q" in math refers to the set of rational numbers as well. However, "Q*" is often used to specifically denote positive rational numbers, while "Q" can include both positive and negative rational numbers.

What does it mean when a number is in "Q*"

When a number is in "Q*", it means that it can be written as a ratio of two integers, and that the ratio is positive. For example, 3/4 is in "Q*" because it can be written as a ratio of 3 and 4, and the ratio is positive. However, -3/4 would not be in "Q*" because the ratio is negative.

How can "Q*" be represented on a number line?

"Q*" can be represented on a number line by marking the positive rational numbers, starting from 0 and moving to the right. This would include all numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two positive integers, such as 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6.

Why is "Q*" an important concept in math?

"Q*" is an important concept in math because it represents a fundamental set of numbers that are used in everyday calculations and applications. Rational numbers are used in measurements, finance, and many other real-life situations, making "Q*" an essential concept to understand in math.