1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does R^(n x m) mean?

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So yeah as the topic says. What does R^(nxm) mean? Is that a matrix or an n x m space. The notation is really confusing and sometimes it means something else.

I'm doing regression analysis right now and this shows up a lot. Is it a matrix when you say something like C = ℝ^(k x m). I'm not sure if that means its a k x m matrix or a k x m space. Mainly because in examples when they say that, it shows up as a k x m matrix. I'm guessing its a a matrix because of the = sign? If you had an E sign instead it would be contained in a space?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's the vector space of n X m matrices, with real entries.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Thanks! That cleared up so much...

Another quick question if you may know.

If i have the observations. (xi1,...xik,yi1,....,yim). If i set X = (xij) and Y = (yij). What are those? Is that an i x k matrix for X and an i x m matrix for Y?

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

xi1,...xik would be the i-th row of a matrix with k columns.
    yi1,....,yim would be the i-th row of a matrix with m columns.
    That notation is usually used for matrices, where xij represents an arbitrary element of the matrix. Same for yij.
    Probably not i x k and i x m, but <something> x k and <something> by m. I can't tell from what you have here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook