What does Schrödinger equation prove/mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free will and its relation to the Schrödinger equation in physics. The equation, developed by Erwin Schrödinger, describes the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic scales. While some believe that it supports the idea of determinism, others argue that it allows for free will. The conversation also touches on the importance of asking the right questions in order to arrive at the correct answer.
kobeftw
1. I am writing one page on if there is free will(using physics). I concluded that there is no free will and I am trying to use Schrödinger equation in my paper, but i don't understand what its proving/means.
And if possible can i get an example that will prove the equation(no math, just an example/situation in words.

2. Schrödinger equation

3. This is what have so far...

Many people believe that there is no free will; that before anything makes an action; something in the past triggered it. On the other, many people believe that there is free will and that nothing is determined prior to the action. These groups of people represent determinism and libertarianism, respectively. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of matter and its interactions with energy at the atomic and subatomic scales. Erwin Schrödinger and a few others mainly developed this branch of physics. Schrödinger invented an equation of how wave functions of a physical system behave over time. So using this equation one could find the position of the particle in a three dimensional space in any given time.

Physics news on Phys.org
kobeftw said:
1. I am writing one page on if there is free will(using physics). I concluded that there is no free will and I am trying to use Schrödinger equation in my paper, but i don't understand what its proving/means.
And if possible can i get an example that will prove the equation(no math, just an example/situation in words.

2. Schrödinger equation

3. This is what have so far...

Many people believe that there is no free will; that before anything makes an action; something in the past triggered it. On the other, many people believe that there is free will and that nothing is determined prior to the action. These groups of people represent determinism and libertarianism, respectively. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of matter and its interactions with energy at the atomic and subatomic scales. Erwin Schrödinger and a few others mainly developed this branch of physics. Schrödinger invented an equation of how wave functions of a physical system behave over time. So using this equation one could find the position of the particle in a three dimensional space in any given time.

This is not a legitimate exercise in physics. Einstein had a preference for a marble universe. This did not contradicted free will in philosophy. By definition if you can act in accordance with your nature you are exhibiting free will.

If you ask the wrong question, you can always get the wrong answer.

AC130Nav said:
This is not a legitimate exercise in physics. Einstein had a preference for a marble universe. This did not contradicted free will in philosophy. By definition if you can act in accordance with your nature you are exhibiting free will.

If you ask the wrong question, you can always get the wrong answer.

are u saying that Schrödinger agrees that there is free will?, and u didnt answer my question( what does Schrödinger equation mean)

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given physical system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location at a specific time.

What does the Schrödinger equation prove?

The Schrödinger equation does not prove anything. It is a mathematical tool used to predict the behavior of quantum particles. However, its success in accurately predicting experimental results supports the validity of quantum mechanics as a theory.

What does the Schrödinger equation mean?

The Schrödinger equation describes the wave-like behavior of quantum particles and how they evolve over time. It also includes terms that represent the potential energy of the particle and any external forces acting on it, providing a comprehensive understanding of the particle's behavior.

Can the Schrödinger equation be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Schrödinger equation cannot be solved exactly due to its complexity. However, there are certain systems, such as the hydrogen atom, for which exact solutions can be found. In other cases, approximations and numerical methods are used to find solutions.

How is the Schrödinger equation related to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrödinger equation includes terms that represent the position and momentum of a particle, both of which are related to the uncertainty principle. The equation shows that as the position of a particle becomes more certain, its momentum becomes less certain, and vice versa. This reflects the fundamental uncertainty in the behavior of quantum particles.