Did a Comet Slam Into Earth and Combine with It After Collision?

• Thread starter siriux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, "slam into" means to collide with great force. The prompt about impulse and momentum states that a large comet or asteroid collided with the Earth, suggesting that they combined and moved together at the same speed afterwards. A 'prompt' in this context refers to a statement or question that serves as a starting point for discussion. The professor suggested making assumptions about the motion after the collision. This could include phrases such as being absorbed by or bouncing off the Earth.
siriux
What does "slam into" mean?

The prompt about impulse and momentum says "a large comet or asteroid slammed into the earth". Does the prompt means that the comet or asteroid combined with the Earth after collision and moved together at same speed after the collision?

Physics news on Phys.org

What's a 'prompt' in this context?

I asked prof and he said I should make an assumption about the motion after collision. Thank you DaveC426913.

I think the phrase "slammed into" could equally well be followed by any number of phrases such as, for example, (1) "and was absorbed by", (2) "and bounced off off"

@phinds
Yes exactly! So I was asked to make assumptions.

What does "slam into" mean?

"Slam into" means to forcefully collide with something or someone.

Is "slam into" a commonly used phrase?

Yes, "slam into" is a commonly used phrase to describe a forceful collision.

Can "slam into" have a figurative meaning?

Yes, "slam into" can also be used figuratively to describe a harsh or sudden encounter or impact.

What is the origin of the phrase "slam into"?

The word "slam" comes from the Old French word "esclam" meaning "to strike," and "into" comes from the Old English word "intō" meaning "in, into, on, onto, toward." The phrase "slam into" likely originated as a descriptive term for a forceful collision.

Can "slam into" be used in a positive context?

While the phrase is typically used to describe a negative or forceful collision, it can also be used in a positive context to describe a powerful or impressive performance or action.