What is Sub i? Meaning and Usage in Physics Equations

• Thread starter The riddler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the symbol "sub i" next to values such as velocity and acceleration represents the component x,y,z and is used as an index for summation. It is commonly used in equations involving multiple components and can be implied in more advanced studies.
The riddler
What does "sub i" mean?

Im not 100% sure what the "sub i" symbol means when next to values such as Velcoity and Aceleration, here is and example of it being used in this equation for the time derivitive of kinetic energy.

Ek(d/dt) = Σm*Vi*Ai

Ek = Kinetic energy
d = Derivitive
t = Time
V = Velocity
A = Acceleration
sub i = ?

Can someone please tell me what it stands for,

Thanks for any replies :)

Physics news on Phys.org

The subscript 'i' refers to the component x,y, and z. It is an index that goes from 1 to 3, 1 = x, 2 = y, 3 = z that is used for the sum. In this case, it means the sum of [tex]mV_x A_x + mV_y A_y + mV_z A_z[/tex] in component terms.

In more advanced studies, you'll see the summation term dropped and when you see a repeated index such as the one you have, that kind of sum is implied. On the other hand, if you have something like [tex]A_i B_j[/tex] where A and B are just two indices, the index runs from 1 to 3 on both i and j so you get 9 terms that include [tex]A_1 B_3 , A_2 B_3 , A_1 B_1 [/tex] etc etc.

Last edited:

1. What is Sub i in physics equations?

Sub i, also written as "subscript i," is a notation used in physics equations to represent a specific element or variable. It is typically used when there are multiple elements or variables in an equation and each one needs to be distinguished from the others.

2. How is Sub i used in physics equations?

Sub i is used as a subscript, which means it is written as a small number or letter below and to the right of the main element or variable. For example, in the equation F = ma, "m" represents the mass and "a" represents the acceleration. If there are multiple masses or accelerations in an equation, they can be represented as m1, m2, a1, a2, etc.

3. What does Sub i stand for in physics equations?

Sub i does not have a specific meaning on its own. Its meaning is determined by the context of the equation in which it is used. It is simply a way to label and distinguish between different elements or variables in an equation.

4. Is Sub i necessary in all physics equations?

No, Sub i is not necessary in all physics equations. It is typically used in equations that involve multiple elements or variables, such as in kinematic equations or equations involving vectors. In simpler equations with only one element or variable, Sub i may not be needed.

5. How do I know when to use Sub i in a physics equation?

You should use Sub i in a physics equation when there are multiple elements or variables that need to be distinguished from each other. This is typically seen in equations involving vectors, matrices, or systems with multiple objects. If there is only one element or variable, Sub i may not be necessary.