1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the atmosphere pressure have to be to make the boiling point of water 20 C?

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    What does the atmospheric pressure have to be to make the boiling point of water 20 C?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Re: What does the atmosphere pressure have to be to make the boiling point of water 2

Google "Clausius-Clapeyron equation" and apply it....

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Re: What does the atmosphere pressure have to be to make the boiling point of water 2

Oh ok that seems to be what I need. Its a little bit advanced, could you explain the general idea of how to use this formula? Im a bit new

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4

Hmm... Well that would be a very involved answer. You should be able to handle it if you know basic algebra. I'm assuming you were given the values to plug in. Also it assumes that it's pure water. Impurities such as salt require the chemical process to first break the hydrogen bonds making water boil at a higher temperature.

I did it for you quickly and got an an answer of 18,900m rounded.

Edit: Actually that can't be correct. That's the limit where water boils at the internal temperature of a human, 37 C. I must have messed up my arithmetic.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook