1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this experiment show?

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    My physics teacher explained an expirment to the class and asked us to find out what it measures, what rules - if any apply, and how that relates to things in real life This is the experiment.. :confused:

A tank is filled with water and ditergent is added to it and stirred around.

Differant shapes are made using copper wire but they all have the same area.
    A 2nd set of shapes is formed this time with a differant area.
    The shapes are circle, square, triangle and trapazoid.

Each of the shapes are put into the tank and then removed and then a stop watch counts the number of seconds before, the bubble that is formed pops. This is repeated a number of times and then the 2nd set of shapes with a differant area are put threw the same steps.

Now the question is that i dont quite understand... is what is this measuring?? is it surface tention? or what? could somone please explain this to me and mainly the what rules - if any apply, and how that relates to things in real life. :confused:

Thank you heaps for you help

Topher

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2
    I don't know if I can help much - I don't know what you've learnt (so I can't know for show the things this could be asking.)

Here's some hints though:

You're measuring surface tension, correct.

Think about this: The prac is asking you to compare shapes all with the same area, and then compare shapes with different area.

Maybe try doing the experiment, and then having a look at your results. Something might jump out at you then.

When you've got the results, post them here and I'll try and offer a few more hints. (These forums are for help only, not doing questions for people. :tongue2: )

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    hahah hints only ok i get ya well thank you when i get these results i will post them and you can try and help me understand them more

thanks for you help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?