Understanding the Eigenvalue Concept in Diffusion Equations

• I
  • Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Mean
In summary, the equation has a non-trivial solution for a particular value of v only if v has the eigenvalue.
dRic2
Gold Member
I'm Sorry for the vague title, but I don't know what to write. Can someone tell me the meaning of the passage I underlined?

Thank you
Ric
1523900917694.jpg

Attachments

• 1523900917694.jpg
    1523900917694.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,033
Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
I'm Sorry for the vague title, but I don't know what to write. Can someone tell me the meaning of the passage I underlined?

Thank you
RicView attachment 224159
I don't know about others but I have no interest in getting a kink in my neck turning my head sideways just because you can't be bothered to show your image right-side-up

Likes BvU
Wow, I don't know if you were trying to be funny or mean. Anyway I'm sorry I updated it with my phone and I was in an hurry so forgot to check, it wasn't done on purpose.

Here it is, I will appreciate if you can check it out
right.jpg

Ric

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 581
dRic2 said:
Wow, I don't know if you were trying to be funny or mean.
Neither one. I was making a statement of fact.

I think "please re-upload the image" would be enough. I'm not upset about it, I just want to tell you that (I think) it sounds mean: everyone can make a mistake. Words are powerful.

BTW I'm not offended, I was just saying.

I found it funny because i was just in pose with my head at 90 degree.

Likes dRic2
@dRic2: What book does this come from?

DrClaude said:
@dRic2: What book does this come from?

"Combustion" (Physical and chemical fundamentals, modeling and simulation) J. Warnatz, U. Maas, R.W. Dibble

I've put a fair amount of time into this problem today, but haven't gotten very far. Maybe this can help you think about what's going on here, though. The business about eigenvalues refers to the linear algebra concept of linear transformations and function spaces, which are a slight variation of the concept of a vector space.
For a linear transformation L, ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue with associated eigenvector ##\vec x## provided that ##L\vec x = \lambda \vec x##. IOW, for an eigenvector, ##L\vec x## produces a scaled version of the same vector.

In this problem, we're talking about eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, so the equation above would be ##Lf = \lambda f##. As above, for an eigenfunction, ##Lf## results in a scalar multiple of the same function. The differential equation could be written as ##L f = 0##, where the tranformation is the operator ##L = a\frac{d^2}{dz^2} - v \frac{d}{dz} - \delta \cdot A \exp \left[-\frac E {R(T_b - \delta)}\right]##. Applying the linear operator L to a function f would entail working with this linear combination of f, f', and f''.

To find the eigenfunction basis (which would consist of two functions, being that the DE is second order), one would need to solve the DE ##L f = \lambda f##, which as the text states, would be quite complicated. Even for much simpler DEs there is a lot of work.

An eigenfunction would be some exponential function for which the exponent would involve the associated eigenvalue, ##\lambda##. I don't have any advice on the "Nevertheless, it can be shown easily that ... " part.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I've put a fair amount of time into this problem today
First of all thank you very much for the effort.

I'm familiar with eigenvalues/eigenfunctions thanks to quantum mechanics. But I can't even understand the meaning of this. The operator ##L## refers to the function ##\delta(z)## so what does "if v has the eigenvalue..." mean? How can v have an eigenvalue if the differential equation is written for ##\delta##?

dRic2 said:
First of all thank you very much for the effort.

I'm familiar with eigenvalues/eigenfunctions thanks to quantum mechanics. But I can't even understand the meaning of this. The operator ##L## refers to the function ##\delta(z)## so what does "if v has the eigenvalue..." mean? How can v have an eigenvalue if the differential equation is written for ##\delta##?
The best answer I can come up with is that the above means "if v is replaced by the eigenvalue ##v_L##..." Other than that, no idea.

Likes dRic2
It seems to be slightly idiosyncratic (although in some cases the relation with more "traditional" eigenvalue problems can be more evident), but in combustion you often get such differential equations that depend on some parameters that have non-trivial solutions only for certain relations between the parameters.

In the case at hand, ##\delta(z) = 0## is the trivial solution. Given the diffusivity ##\alpha## and the Arrhenius parameters ##A## and ##E##, then the equation has a non-trivial solution ##\delta(z)## only for a particular value of ##v##, which is then called an eigenvalue.

Likes dRic2
Thank you for the replies. It's far more clear now!

I just have one more question out of curiosity:

DrClaude said:
Given the diffusivity ##\alpha## and the Arrhenius parameters ##A## and ##E##, then the equation has a non-trivial solution ##\delta(z)## only for a particular value of ##v##, which is then called an eigenvalue.

any ideas to show the "eigenvalue" is ##v_L = \sqrt {\alpha k}##?PS: Am I correct to assume that "eigenvalue" is just used in a misleading/improper way here ?

What does this line mean?

This is a very broad question and the answer will depend on the specific context. However, generally speaking, a line can have various meanings depending on the field of study and the context in which it is used. It could refer to a sentence in a literary text, a mathematical equation, a line of code in a computer program, or a line on a graph. It is important to provide more information or context in order to accurately determine the meaning of a line.

How do I interpret this line?

Interpretation of a line also depends on the context and the field of study. In order to interpret a line, one must understand the purpose of the text or data in which the line appears. It is also helpful to analyze the surrounding lines or data points to gain a better understanding of the meaning.

What is the significance of this line?

The significance of a line can vary greatly depending on the context. In literature, a line may hold significant meaning in the overall theme or message of the work. In science, a line may represent an important data point or trend. It is important to provide more information or context to accurately determine the significance of a line.

Why is this line included?

The reason for including a line in a text or data set can also vary. In literature, a line may be included to convey a certain emotion or idea. In science, a line may be included to support a hypothesis or demonstrate a trend. Understanding the purpose of a line can help in understanding its meaning.

Can you explain this line in simpler terms?

Some lines may be difficult to understand due to complex language or technical jargon. Asking for a simpler explanation can help in understanding the meaning of a line. However, it is important to note that some lines may require a certain level of knowledge or understanding in order to be fully comprehended.