What is the solution for x in the equation (2^4x)(4^3x)=8x^(+42)?

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the author was trying to solve a problem where the LHS and RHS had equal bases, but couldn't seem to get it to work. They eventually solved it by equating the powers and finding x=18.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I was doing some GRE practice problems, and I got this question:
[tex] (2^4x)(4^3x)=8x^{+42} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it was a typo or something, but the detailed answer given did some weird stuff and in the end, [itex] x=18 [/itex]

What is this?? The only time I've seen a + in the exponent is in addition, as in [itex] x^{1+t} [/itex] or when talking about a limit approaching from the left or the right. So... can anyone clue me in?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

I was doing some GRE practice problems, and I got this question:
[tex] (2^4x)(4^3x)=8x^{+42} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it was a typo or something, but the detailed answer given did some weird stuff and in the end, [itex] x=18 [/itex]

What is this?? The only time I've seen a + in the exponent is in addition, as in [itex] x^{1+t} [/itex] or when talking about a limit approaching from the left or the right. So... can anyone clue me in?

What was the detailed answer?

33cup0w.jpg

Hi ArcanaNoir! :smile:

This looks like one big typo.
Looking at the explanation, I think the intended equation was:
[tex](2^{4x})(4^{3x})=8^{x+42}[/tex]
Note that in the explanation there is yet another typo when they say +24 when obviously +42 was meant.
Seems to me the author used LaTeX, but was as yet apparently not aware that he should use curly braces in exponents.
To compensate, curvy thingies were added.

Oh thank goodness. I thought this was some new math I didn't know. I worked it out according to your correction and I got it just fine. Thanks a million!

I like Serena said:
the intended equation was:
[tex](2^{4x})(4^{3x})=8^{x+42}[/tex]

In case there are others as perplexed as I have been, let's examine the original maths question. :smile:

Skip over all the preceding, and the problem you face is finding the value of x which makes I like Serena's equation above true.

The LHS can be rewritten as: 24x.(22)3x

and using exponent properties this simplifies to: 210x

The RHS can be rewritten as: (23)(x+42)

and simplified to: 23(x+42)

Now, having equal bases on each side, we can equate the powers,
giving: 10x = 3x + 126

And solving for x, we have the solution: x=18

It's a hard task where working out the correct question is at least as difficult as working out the correct answer! :wink:

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of x^(+42)?

The notation x^(+42) means x raised to the power of positive 42. This means that x is multiplied by itself 42 times.

2. How do you solve for x in x^(+42)?

To solve for x in x^(+42), you need to take the 42nd root of both sides of the equation. This will result in x = 0, as any number raised to the 42nd power will be equal to 0.

3. What is an example of x^(+42)?

An example of x^(+42) would be 2^(+42), which is equivalent to 2 multiplied by itself 42 times. This would result in a very large number, approximately equal to 4.398 x 10^12.

4. Can x^(+42) be negative?

No, x^(+42) cannot be negative because raising a number to a positive power will always result in a positive number. However, if the base number (x) is negative, then the result may be positive or negative depending on the evenness or oddness of the power.

5. What is the significance of using +42 in x^(+42)?

The use of +42 in x^(+42) indicates that the power is positive. This is important to note because a negative power would result in a fraction, while a positive power results in a whole number.