Understanding Matrices and GL(n,R) Functions

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: Thanks for the explanation!In summary, the space of all 2 by 2 matrices is identified with R^4. The derivative of a function is a linear function. To talk about the "squaring function" we say f(x)= x^2 rather than just "f= ( )^2".
JG89
Two things:

1) If we say that the space of all 2 by 2 matrices is identified with R^4, what does that mean?

2) Suppose f is a function from GL(n, R) to GL(n, R) (the space of all real n by n invertible matrices) identified with [tex] \mathbb{R}^{n^2} [/tex] I am asked to prove that [tex] df_{A_0} (X) = -X [/tex] where [tex] A_0 [/tex] is the identity matrix. My question is, [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] would usually denote that derivative of f at the point [tex] A_0 [/tex], so where does that (X) part come into play?

I know that I should be asking my prof this, but I want to do these homework questions before my next class (Wednesday), so it would be great if you guys could help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question: a (real) 2 by 2 marix is specified by four numbers, which defines a point in R^4.

Second question: I am not familiar with the notation.

For the second question: The derivative of a function is a linear function. In this case the question is asking you to prove that the linear function that the derivative is is the function df(X)=-X

OfficerShredder, I was thinking that. But usually my prof would use the notation [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] to denote the derivative of f at [tex] A_0 [/tex]. Why add in the extra [tex] (X) [/tex] ?

And mathman, do I read off the entries of the matrix row by row or column by column

In case it helps, OfficerShredder, f is defined by [tex] f(A) = A^{-1} [/tex] if [tex] A \in GL(n,r) [/tex]

JG89 said:
And mathman, do I read off the entries of the matrix row by row or column by column
That's up to you. You can identify the space of nxm-matrices with R^{mn} in a lot (namely (nm)!) of ways, there's not really a preferred way.

JG89 said:
OfficerShredder, I was thinking that. But usually my prof would use the notation [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] to denote the derivative of f at [tex] A_0 [/tex]. Why add in the extra [tex] (X) [/tex] ?

For the same reason that to talk about the "squaring function" we say [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] rather than just "[itex]f= ( )^2[/itex]". A function is defined by what it does to values of x.

I'm still not getting it. In my prof's usual notation [tex] df_{A_0} [/tex] would mean the derivative of f at [tex] A_0 [/tex]. If you write it using the prime notation, [tex] df_{A_0} = f'(A_0) [/tex]. I still don't see why you would need the matrix [tex] X [/tex] when we're evaluating the derivative function at the point [tex] A_0 [/tex]

Last edited:
lol nevermind guys. I totally forgot that my proof uses that notation to mean the directional derivative of f at the point X with respect to A_0

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in mathematics?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols, typically arranged in rows and columns. It is used in mathematics to represent and manipulate systems of linear equations, as well as in various other areas of mathematics such as geometry and statistics.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, while a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers. Vectors can be seen as special cases of matrices, where either the number of rows or columns is equal to 1. Matrices can also be multiplied together, while vectors cannot.

3. What does GL(n,R) stand for?

GL(n,R) stands for the general linear group over the real numbers. It is a mathematical group consisting of all invertible n-by-n matrices with real number entries. This group is important in understanding linear transformations and their properties.

4. How are matrices and GL(n,R) functions related?

Matrices can be used to represent linear transformations, and GL(n,R) functions are a specific type of linear transformation. In fact, the elements of GL(n,R) can be thought of as the coefficients of a linear transformation matrix. Additionally, GL(n,R) functions form a group under matrix multiplication, allowing for certain properties and operations to be applied to them.

5. How does understanding matrices and GL(n,R) functions benefit scientific research?

Understanding matrices and GL(n,R) functions is essential in many areas of scientific research, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in modeling and analyzing complex systems, solving differential equations, and performing data analysis. By understanding these concepts, scientists can better understand and make predictions about the behavior of these systems, leading to advancements in various fields.