What does this notation mean?

In summary, mathematical notation uses the "x" symbol to represent unknown values or variables, superscript and subscript numbers to indicate exponents or indices, and the "!" symbol for the factorial function. Greek letters are commonly used as symbols for specific variables or constants in notation, and it can be used in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, and engineering with slight variations in interpretation or application.
geft
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \begin{pmatrix}
{n}\\
{2}
\end{pmatrix} z^{n}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Which part is confusing you?

It's supposed to be a power series, but I don't understand how to decipher the brackets.

Many thanks!

1. What does the "x" symbol represent in this notation?

The "x" symbol typically represents an unknown value or variable in mathematical notation. It can also represent a dimension or coordinate in a graph or equation.

2. How do I interpret the superscript or subscript numbers in this notation?

The superscript and subscript numbers in notation typically indicate exponents or indices. For example, x2 would mean x squared, while x1 would mean x sub 1 or the first value of x in a series.

3. What does the "!" symbol mean in this notation?

The "!" symbol in notation typically represents the factorial function, which multiplies a number by all of the positive integers less than it. For example, 5! would equal 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

4. How do I read this notation with Greek letters?

Greek letters are commonly used in mathematical and scientific notation as symbols for specific variables or constants. Some common examples include pi (π) for the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, alpha (α) for angles, and delta (δ) for change or difference.

5. Can I use this notation in other fields of science?

Mathematical notation is a universal language and can be used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. However, it may have slightly different interpretations or applications depending on the specific field or context.