What is Interval Notation and How is it Used?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of open intervals, specifically the notation [20;30[ to represent a set of numbers between 20 and 30, including 20 but not 30. This notation is synonymous with using an outward-facing square bracket and is similar to the notation [20, 30) which also represents the same set of numbers. The conversation also mentions the use of this notation in ISO 31-11.
shadowboy13
[a;b[

I want to do a problem with this but i can't find anything about it, if anyone can help me it'd be very useful, thank you. :)

The one i want to do exactly is [20;30[ , in case anyone is wondering.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In other words, [20;30[ means {x | 20 ≤ x < 30}, the interval on the real number line between 20 and 30, with 20 included and 30 excluded.

Perhaps you are familiar with [20, 30), another notation meaning the same thing- all numbers between 20 and 30, including 20 but not 30.

This notation is called "interval notation" and it is commonly used in mathematics to represent a range of numbers. In this case, [a;b[ represents a closed interval, meaning that both a and b are included in the range. The number a is the starting point of the interval and b is the ending point. However, the ending point b is not included in the interval. So in the case of [20;30[, the range includes all numbers from 20 to 30, including 20 but not including 30. This notation is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to represent a continuous range of values. I suggest looking up more resources on interval notation to better understand its applications in problem-solving.

1. What does the subscript in this notation indicate?

The subscript in notation indicates the number, variable, or expression that is being modified or specified. It is written as a smaller number or letter below and to the right of the main character.

2. How is superscript used in this notation?

The superscript in notation is used to indicate a power or exponent. It is written as a smaller number or letter above and to the right of the main character.

3. What does the symbol or operator in this notation represent?

The symbol or operator in notation represents a mathematical operation such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. It is used to show the relationship between the numbers or variables in the notation.

4. How do I read this notation from left to right?

In most cases, notation is read from left to right, with the symbols or operators representing the order of operations to be carried out. However, in some cases, parentheses or brackets may change the order of operations.

5. Can this notation be simplified or expanded?

Yes, notation can be simplified or expanded using mathematical rules and properties. This can help make the expression easier to read or solve.