Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What does this notation mean?

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    Can you help me figure out what the equation in the attached image means?
    What I do know is: h(p) is a Monge parameterization height function depending on radius (p), this is a boundary condition for a differential equation, and p0 is the outer boundary, with the inner boundary creating a boundary condition of h(pi)=0.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2
    I wasn't sure where this thread should be posted, so if there would have been a better place, please let me know and I will re-post there

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    To me this read: The partial derivative with respect to ##\rho## evaluated at ##\rho=\rho_0##.
    As in take the derivative first and then set ##\rho=\rho_0##.
    I could be wrong though.

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    That seems reasonable. Short term it is yielding something that doesn't look wrong, once I get through everything else I'll be able to tell if it's right. Thanks!
    Any idea why it wouldn't be d/dp as the operator out front?

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5
    Maybe the author is being sloppy because it looks like it only depends on ##\rho## and therefore it could be derived with ##\frac{d}{d\rho}##.

7. Jul 15, 2016 #6
    Well it worked it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted