1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What does this notation mean?

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    Can you help me figure out what the equation in the attached image means?
    What I do know is: h(p) is a Monge parameterization height function depending on radius (p), this is a boundary condition for a differential equation, and p0 is the outer boundary, with the inner boundary creating a boundary condition of h(pi)=0.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2
    I wasn't sure where this thread should be posted, so if there would have been a better place, please let me know and I will re-post there

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    To me this read: The partial derivative with respect to ##\rho## evaluated at ##\rho=\rho_0##.
    As in take the derivative first and then set ##\rho=\rho_0##.
    I could be wrong though.

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    That seems reasonable. Short term it is yielding something that doesn't look wrong, once I get through everything else I'll be able to tell if it's right. Thanks!
    Any idea why it wouldn't be d/dp as the operator out front?

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5
    Maybe the author is being sloppy because it looks like it only depends on ##\rho## and therefore it could be derived with ##\frac{d}{d\rho}##.

7. Jul 15, 2016 #6
    Well it worked it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted