What is the significance of number of g atoms in one atom of an element?

• Thread starter xiphoid
  • Start date
In summary: This would be a form of 'guessing'; and, as such, would not be very useful.In summary, the number of g atoms in one atom of an element are 1.66*10^-24.
xiphoid
Number of g atoms in one atom of an element are?

1.66*10^-24
10^-23
10^-22
10^-28

What does number of g atoms in real means?
Does it mean 1g of atom in one atoms of that particular element?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi xiphoid! welcome to pf! :smile:

a mole is a number of things, like a dozen​

… to be precise (almost), 6.022142 1023 things :wink:

if you go into the garden and find 602,214,200,000,000,000,000,000 moles, that's a mole of moles! :biggrin:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit ) …

The name gram-molecule was formerly used for essentially the same concept [mole]. The name gram-atom (abbreviated gat.) has been used for a related but distinct concept, namely a quantity of a substance that contains Avogadro's number of atoms, whether isolated or combined in molecules.

Thus, for example, 1 mole of MgB2 is 1 gram-molecule of MgB2 but 3 gram-atoms of MgB2

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do you think should be the answer to my question?

xiphoid said:
So what do you think should be the answer to my question?

It is not about what Tiny Tim thinks, it is about what you can do with the information given. It is up to you to solve the problem, we can only give you hints.

I know this and that is the reason for me to come here, so taht I cannot get the direct answers but get the hint to solve my doubt and use my brain in the process too...
Borek said:
It is not about what Tiny Tim thinks, it is about what you can do with the information given. It is up to you to solve the problem, we can only give you hints.

Nobody, as far as I can see, could work out from first principles what the "Number of g atoms in one atom of an element are". (It needed waiting nearly a century before it could be found experimentally.)

However you are not quite asked to, and it is possible for anyone who only knows what a g atom is, means, and not any other information, to give reasons why one of those answers is far more plausible than the others.

What does "this" refer to?

"This" is a pronoun that refers to something that has already been mentioned or is known to the speaker and listener. It is often used to avoid repetition or to indicate something close by.

Can "this" refer to multiple things?

Yes, "this" can refer to multiple things if those things are being grouped or referred to as a whole. For example, "This project" can refer to all the tasks and components within a project.

How do I know what "this" is referring to?

In order to understand what "this" is referring to, you must have context from the surrounding language or conversation. It is important to pay attention to the subject and object of the sentence to determine what "this" is referring to.

Can "this" refer to abstract concepts?

Yes, "this" can refer to abstract concepts or ideas. For example, "This idea" or "This concept" are both valid uses of "this".

Can "this" be used in formal writing?

Yes, "this" can be used in formal writing as a pronoun to refer to a previously mentioned or known subject or idea. However, it is important to vary sentence structure and avoid overusing "this" in order to maintain a professional tone.