Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this refer to?

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    Number of g atoms in one atom of an element are?

1.66*10^-24
    10^-23
    10^-22
    10^-28

What does number of g atoms in real means?
    Does it mean 1g of atom in one atoms of that particular element?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi xiphoid! welcome to pf! :smile:

a mole is a number of things, like a dozen​

… to be precise (almost), 6.022142 1023 things :wink:

if you go into the garden and find 602,214,200,000,000,000,000,000 moles, that's a mole of moles! :biggrin:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit [Broken]) …

The name gram-molecule was formerly used for essentially the same concept [mole]. The name gram-atom (abbreviated gat.) has been used for a related but distinct concept, namely a quantity of a substance that contains Avogadro's number of atoms, whether isolated or combined in molecules.

Thus, for example, 1 mole of MgB2 is 1 gram-molecule of MgB2 but 3 gram-atoms of MgB2

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    So what do you think should be the answer to my question?

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not about what Tiny Tim thinks, it is about what you can do with the information given. It is up to you to solve the problem, we can only give you hints.

6. Jul 12, 2012 #5
    I know this and that is the reason for me to come here, so taht I cannot get the direct answers but get the hint to solve my doubt and use my brain in the process too......

7. Jul 12, 2012 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nobody, as far as I can see, could work out from first principles what the "Number of g atoms in one atom of an element are". (It needed waiting nearly a century before it could be found experimentally.)

However you are not quite asked to, and it is possible for anyone who only knows what a g atom is, means, and not any other information, to give reasons why one of those answers is far more plausible than the others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook