1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this set represent?

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    • Member warned that the homework template is required
    I'm reading the proof that a cauchy sequence is convergent.

Let an be a cauchy sequence and let ε=1. Then ∃N∈ℕ such that for all m, n≥N we have
    an-am<1. Hence, for all n≥N we have an-aN<1 which implies an<aN+1. Therefore, the set {n∈ℕ: an≤aN+1} is infinite and thus {x∈ℝ : {n∈ℕ: an≤x} is infinite} ≠ ∅.

I can't make sense of the last set. What does it represent and why is it not empty?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Do you buy the statement that [itex] \{n \in \mathbb{N} \colon a_n \le a_N + 1 \}[/itex] is infinite? If so, what does that tell you about the [itex] a_n [/itex] themselves?

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3
    Okay, I get it now. It's the set of all reals that are ≥ an for infinitely many n's. aN+1 is an element in this set, thus it's not empty.
    I'm studying independently so I occasionally get stuck trying to figure out easy concepts like this. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted