Understanding the Infinite Set of Reals in Cauchy Convergence Proof

• Thread starter sonofagun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the proof shows that a Cauchy sequence is convergent by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the concept of an infinite set. The set {n∈ℕ: an≤aN+1} represents all real numbers that are greater than or equal to an for infinitely many values of n. This set is not empty because aN+1 is an element of it. This concept may seem difficult when studying independently, but with further understanding, it becomes clear.
sonofagun
Member warned that the homework template is required
I'm reading the proof that a cauchy sequence is convergent.

Let an be a cauchy sequence and let ε=1. Then ∃N∈ℕ such that for all m, n≥N we have
an-am<1. Hence, for all n≥N we have an-aN<1 which implies an<aN+1. Therefore, the set {n∈ℕ: an≤aN+1} is infinite and thus {x∈ℝ : {n∈ℕ: an≤x} is infinite} ≠ ∅.

I can't make sense of the last set. What does it represent and why is it not empty?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you buy the statement that [itex] \{n \in \mathbb{N} \colon a_n \le a_N + 1 \}[/itex] is infinite? If so, what does that tell you about the [itex] a_n [/itex] themselves?

Likes sonofagun
statdad said:
Do you buy the statement that [itex] \{n \in \mathbb{N} \colon a_n \le a_N + 1 \}[/itex] is infinite? If so, what does that tell you about the [itex] a_n [/itex] themselves?

Okay, I get it now. It's the set of all reals that are ≥ an for infinitely many n's. aN+1 is an element in this set, thus it's not empty.
I'm studying independently so I occasionally get stuck trying to figure out easy concepts like this. Thank you!

1. What does this set represent in a scientific experiment?

The set represents a collection of data points, observations, or measurements that are being analyzed and compared in the experiment.

2. How do you determine what the set represents?

The set can represent different things depending on the context of the experiment. To determine what it represents, you can look at the variables or factors being studied, the data collected, and the research question or hypothesis being tested.

3. Can the set represent multiple things at once?

Yes, the set can represent multiple variables or factors that are being studied in the experiment. It can also represent different groups or categories that are being compared.

4. Is the set always numerical data?

No, the set can represent different types of data, including numerical, categorical, or qualitative data. It can also include a mix of different types of data, depending on the experiment and the variables being studied.

5. How does the set contribute to the overall results of the experiment?

The set is essential in understanding and interpreting the results of the experiment. It allows for comparisons and analysis of the data, which can help support or reject the research question or hypothesis.