1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this symbol mean?

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    I would like to know what this symbol means:[tex]\nVdash[/tex]Specifically, in the main result of [link] (Theorem 1, at the top of p.4), it has:[tex]\nVdash(n=k=0)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    It is negation of [tex]\Vdash[/tex] and the latter means "entails".

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    Yes, I saw the [itex]\Vdash[/itex] symbol listed as "entails" in Wikipedia's list of mathematical symbols. However, in that article, the explanation is "A [itex]\Vdash[/itex] B means the sentence A entails the sentence B, that is in every model in which A is true, B is also true."

I can't see how that applies to my example (which is not in the form[itex]A \nVdash B[/itex]).

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

How about : the cases described are excluded, i.e., the definition excludes the

cases n=k=0 ?

6. Aug 26, 2012 #5
    This still does not seem to make sense in the given context. The relevant phrase in full is:[tex]\mathrm{where \ } R_{n,0,k}(x) \ := \ \nVdash(n=k=0), \ \ R_{n,j,0} \ := \ \nVdash(n=j) \mathrm{ \ \ and \ \ } R_{n,j,k} \ := \ 0 \ \mathrm{else}[/tex]

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6
    I've spent a long time trying to reverse engineer the phrase. My best guess is that the whole phrase (see previous post) could translate into the following two statements:

[tex]R_{n,0,k}=\left\{
    \begin{array}{c}
    1, \\
    \end{array}
    \begin{array}{l}
    \text{if }n=k=0 \\
    \text{otherwise}
    \end{array}
    \right. [/tex]
    [tex]R_{n,j,0}=\left\{
    \begin{array}{c}
    1, \\
    \end{array}
    \begin{array}{l}
    \text{if }n=j \\
    \text{otherwise}
    \end{array}
    \right.[/tex]
    Even if this is correct, there are other bits of notation that I don't understand... but I suppose I should start a new thread, as this one seems pretty dead.

8. Aug 27, 2012 #7
    Why don't you get in touch with the author of the article?

9. Aug 27, 2012 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good idea. It looks like a typo. So you should ask the author.

10. Aug 27, 2012 #9
    Yeah, I've E-mailed the author... fingers crossed that I get a reply, I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook