What does Wavelength have to do with Crustal Structure?

In summary, The author is discussing the dynamics of crustal compensation and its influences on crustal isostasy. He cites an article discussing how certain wavelengths of load (light) can cause deflection of the lithosphere. He is not sure what the shorter wavelength over a longer one would support, because generally the Earth has a high frequency cutoff at about 110hz.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Forgive my ignorance, I am learning about topics like the geoid, geoid anomalies, gravity anomalies as it relates to lithospheric composition.

In my studies, I repeatedly find talk of show wavelengths and long wavelengths having different effects on crustal composition.

One example I can give that is at the focal point:

Lithosphere can support short wavelength, but cannot support high wave length.
What does this mean?Short wavelengths do not depress the lithosphere, long wavelengths result in flexure and a depression of the Moho.

I guess, my question is why are we talking of wavelengths here?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Are you reading about P and S waves? What exactly are you reading? ...it helps us to help you.

Likes RJLiberator
jim mcnamara said:
Are you reading about P and S waves? What exactly are you reading? ...it helps us to help you.

I suspect this is along the lines of what he/she is talking about ?

Dynamics of crustal compensation and its influences on crustal isostasy
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/97JB00956/full#references

Geodynamics Turcotte Schubert - geosci.uchicago.edu
http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~kite/doc/Geodynamics_Turcotte_Schubert_part_of_ch_5.pdf

upload_2017-5-30_19-14-24.png
there's a number of other articles, some behind paywalls

this is not a subject that I am well versed in

@jim mcnamara ... are you able to expand on this subject ? as in what the wavelength is that they are talking about ? ... it's been 25yrs since I last studied about isostasy and lithospheric rebound etcDave

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
Yes, that is a paragraph directly from the text that I am reading (chapter 5 of Geodynamics). I will check out the article you presented.

Likes davenn
johnbbahm said:
I am not sure if I know what your are asking, but some crystals are wavelength sensitive,
Acousto-Optic Modulators work on the idea that at Braggs angle, the acoustic waves in a crystal
can change the path of a beam of light.
https://wp.optics.arizona.edu/milst...sites/48/2016/06/acousto-optics-modulator.pdf
No, I misread his title as "crystal" as well. He is talking about the Earth's crust... :smile:

Likes RJLiberator
berkeman said:
No, I misread his title as "crystal" as well. He is talking about the Earth's crust... :smile:
That's funny, I completely misread that!

Likes RJLiberator and berkeman
I will give this one more try after reading your question again.
In dense structures many of the optical wave equations apply, except C (the speed of light) becomes the speed of sound in that medium.
different types of rock and soil reflect and refract differently like different optical indexes.
I am not sure what would support a shorter wavelength over a longer one though, because generally
the Earth has a fairly severe high frequency cutoff at about 110 hz

Likes RJLiberator
johnbbahm said:
I will give this one more try after reading your question again.
In dense structures many of the optical wave equations apply, except C (the speed of light) becomes the speed of sound in that medium.
different types of rock and soil reflect and refract differently like different optical indexes.
I am not sure what would support a shorter wavelength over a longer one though, because generally
the Earth has a fairly severe high frequency cutoff at about 110 hz

Please have a read of my links to get an understanding of what the OP is talking about
The subject is about lithospheric loading not reflection/refraction of say seismic ( sound) waves in the crust etcDave

Likes RJLiberator and berkeman
@davenn - I learned about this a long time ago as well. One look at the resources tells me to shut up and read.

Likes RJLiberator and davenn
Hi guys, sorry to get back to this thread so late.

I've learned that hte wavelength is describing the load on the lithosphere. I believe it is the wavelength of the load, but I should have a more concrete analysis when I read chapter 3 in Geodynamics by Turbcotte (sp?).

Okay, so I made a mistake in my above post. It is not the wavelength of the load, but rather the wavelength of the resulting deflection of the plate under a force.

From chapter 3, second 11 of Geodynamics mentioned above:

"When an elastic plate is subjected to a horizontale force P, the plate can buckle if the applied force is sufficiently large. Fold trains in mountain belts are believed to result from the warping of strata under horizontal compression. We therefore consider the simplest example of plate buckling under horizontal compression to determine the minimum force required for buckling to occur and the form, that is, the wavelength, of the resulting deflection. "

RJLiberator said:
Okay, so I made a mistake in my above post. It is not the wavelength of the load, but rather the wavelength of the resulting deflection of the plate under a force.

From chapter 3, second 11 of Geodynamics mentioned above:

"When an elastic plate is subjected to a horizontale force P, the plate can buckle if the applied force is sufficiently large. Fold trains in mountain belts are believed to result from the warping of strata under horizontal compression. We therefore consider the simplest example of plate buckling under horizontal compression to determine the minimum force required for buckling to occur and the form, that is, the wavelength, of the resulting deflection. "

but that is a totally different process to what you and I have originally discussed
I'm sure you will find lithospheric loading is a vertical load ... ie. from whatever is sitting on top of it. Not horizontal pressure/stress.
This process is one of the things studied when looking at continental ice sheets and how the crust and lithosphere rebound when the ice starts melting
( after a ice age)

I vaguely remember being taught that the North American Plate, particularly nthrn USA and Canada, the rebound is still occurring
so long after the ice age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/sea-level-rise-2/recovering-from-an-ice-age/

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens1110/glaciers.htmtho these still don't answer your original Q on "What is wavelength in this context"
it is more info on the general subject

@Astronuc are you able to help out here please ?

Dave

The wavelength is simply the spatial extent of the gravity anomaly. A gravity anomaly that spreads over a large area has a large wavelength. If the lithosphere were infinitely strong then a load would not cause a local depression (and hence a localised "short wavelength" gravity anomaly) but the lithosphere would bear the weight of the load over its entire extent (effectively creating a super "long wavelength" anomaly). Because the lithosphere, in reality, has a finite strength (characterised by its elastic thickness) it buckles locally under a load and cannot sustain a long-wavelength anomaly.

Likes jim mcnamara and RJLiberator
Thanks @billiards - is there a source with more detail on this?

Likes billiards
Question removed.

1. What is wavelength and how does it relate to crustal structure?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. In terms of crustal structure, it refers to the length of a seismic wave as it travels through different layers of the Earth's crust. The wavelength of a wave can provide information about the density and composition of the crust.

2. How does the wavelength of seismic waves change as they travel through the Earth's crust?

The wavelength of seismic waves changes as they travel through different layers of the Earth's crust. When waves travel through denser materials, such as the mantle or inner core, their wavelength decreases. Conversely, when waves travel through less dense materials, such as the crust or outer core, their wavelength increases.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and crustal thickness?

There is a direct relationship between wavelength and crustal thickness. As the wavelength of seismic waves increases, so does the thickness of the crust. This is because seismic waves travel more slowly through thicker crust, resulting in a longer wavelength.

4. Can the wavelength of seismic waves be used to identify different types of crust?

Yes, the wavelength of seismic waves can be used to identify different types of crust. For example, oceanic crust tends to have a thinner crust and a shorter wavelength, while continental crust is generally thicker with a longer wavelength. This is due to the differences in composition and density of these two types of crust.

5. How does the study of wavelength contribute to our understanding of crustal structure?

Studying the wavelength of seismic waves can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of the Earth's crust. By analyzing the changes in wavelength as waves pass through different layers of the crust, scientists can determine the thickness, density, and composition of these layers. This can help us better understand the processes that shape the Earth's crust and how it has evolved over time.