What does your GPA need to be? What about SAT/ACT and other

• Testing
  • Thread starter abhikesbhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, for top-ranked schools like MIT, high grades and test scores are not enough to guarantee acceptance. While low grades and test scores can keep you out, perfect scores and GPA will not guarantee admission. Admissions committees are looking for something that makes applicants stand out, such as unique activities, strong letters and essays, and a compelling character. However, even with impressive credentials, there is no guarantee of acceptance. It is important to keep an open mind and not define success or worth solely based on acceptance into a prestigious school.
abhikesbhat
What does your GPA need to be? What about SAT/ACT and other activities? (To get accepted)

Physics news on Phys.org

Nothing you do outside of winning Intel Science or some olympiad or being valedictorian at Phillips Exeter is going to approximately guarantee being admitted to MIT or any top 7 school. You could do well enough to approximately guarantee getting into one of top 7 but not all or a specific one.

MIT rejects students with 4.0 GPAs or perfect SATs. Grades and test scores are important, but they are not everything. Letters, essays, interview, character and activities are all important.

MIT (or any other top-ranked school) isn't looking for high grades or test scores. They just *expect* these. They are looking for something that makes you stand out from the crowd.

Having low test scores and GPA will definitely keep you out of MIT, but having perfect SATs and GPA will not get you accepted by themselves.

As mentioned, MIT rejects applicants with perfect GPA's and SATs. In order to get into MIT for undergrad you will need to present yourself as not just a good student but also extraordinary in other respects. This is where your interview and letters and activities come into play. You have to make yourself seem unique.

It'll be tough. Nothing is going to garantee your acceptance into a school like MIT. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though! Just don't be too disappointed if you don't get in. You do not need to go to a school like MIT to have a good career in any field.

MIT is NOT the be all end all of success or validation of one's worth.

Keep your mind and possibilities open

G01 said:
You do not need to go to a school like MIT to have a good career in any field.

I do not know how is MIT for grad students but I know for undergrad and postdocs does no guarantee you will have a successful career.

I know many people that after their PhD or postdoc at MIT are unemployed and moreover not having papers because of poor equipment in the lab they were not able to get the experiments done.
Their prof was not interested because he was tenure prof.

Oxygenne said:
I know many people that after their PhD or postdoc at MIT are unemployed and moreover not having papers because of poor equipment in the lab they were not able to get the experiments done.

Just out of curiosity, how would you define "many"? 10? 25? 100?

I'd like to link to this http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/the_selection_process_application_reading_committee_and_decisions/its_more_than_a_job.shtml made by an MIT admissions official staff member. In short, there's no area that's considered the minimum or maximum for a school like MIT (but if you want some numbers, look http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/admissions_statistics/index.shtml). If you want to get into MIT or any elite school, just do your best but don't fret if you get rejected.

Last edited:

1. What does my GPA need to be in order to get into a good college?

In order to get into a good college, you typically need to have a GPA of at least 3.0 or higher. However, this can vary depending on the competitiveness of the college and the specific program you are applying to.

2. Do colleges only look at my overall GPA or do they also consider my individual grades?

Colleges typically look at both your overall GPA and your individual grades. They want to see that you have consistently performed well in all subjects, not just a few. However, they may also take into consideration any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades.

3. How important are SAT/ACT scores in the college admissions process?

SAT/ACT scores are an important factor in the college admissions process, but they are not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider your GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. However, having a strong SAT/ACT score can definitely strengthen your application and increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Is it better to have a high GPA or a high SAT/ACT score?

Both a high GPA and a high SAT/ACT score are important for college admissions. They each demonstrate different strengths and abilities, so it is best to strive for excellence in both areas. However, if you have to prioritize, a high GPA is generally considered more important as it shows your ability to perform well over a longer period of time.

5. Can I still get into a good college if my GPA or SAT/ACT scores are not as high as I would like?

Yes, it is still possible to get into a good college even if your GPA or SAT/ACT scores are not as high as you would like. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as your extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. Additionally, there are many colleges and universities that have a holistic approach to admissions and consider the whole applicant rather than just their grades and test scores.