Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Dye to Use?

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    What Dye to Use??

Do you guys know what kind of chemical/dye should I use if I have a cross section of a plant stem and if I want to see it under a optical microscope?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Crystal violet is a fairly standard stain for simple microscopy.

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally, stains are used to highlight particular plant tissues. Phloroglucinol highlights xylem (woody) cells, for example.

Toluidine blue stains xylem blue-green, phloem becomes pink.

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4
    Thanks! But wouldn't a simple food dye do the trick??

If not, where can I get phloroglucinol or toluidine blue?

P.S. I actually just wanna locate the xylem and the phloem in the cross section of the stem of my plant.

6. Aug 29, 2007 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know where you are, but "science education" stores in the US have little microscope kits that have those stains.

I have no idea what food dyes will do. Try them before you buy stains.

7. Aug 29, 2007 #6
    Thanks again! Can I buy these chemicals (crystal violet, phloroglucinol, and toluidine blue) from some local store (if so, then which?) or do I need to order them online (if so, then what are some good online stores?).

Also, I tried searching for the aforementioned chemicals at my local chemical dispensary at my college but they didn't had them.
    Are there any other chemicals that you guys know of which could be used to illuminate crucial plant tissues inside the stem?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. Aug 30, 2007 #7

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?