1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What entry level jobs am I qualified for?

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    Here goes: I am a final (4th) year Physics undergrad doing an exchange year at a top 10 UK university. My awarding institution is a relatively unknown university in Spain (however the place is a big name in observational astrophysics).

I have no practical/experimental physics experience at all, but I believe I am walking away with some decent knowledge of scilab(think matlab) and FORTRAN programming, but nothing beyond a basic course in numerical methods and a senior year project using a Monte Carlo. Nothing much in the way of optics labs, nor anything like thin films or observational astronomy. I am taking a course in electronics this year however, but very little lab content.

I also have a 2-year degree in environmental chemistry, 2 years of undergrad chemistry, and some experience at a wastewater analytics lab but that was 4 years ago.

I am a US resident so I am qualified to work non-governmental jobs in the US. I am considering the following regions as its where my SO is applying for grad school: Minneapolis MN, Manoa HI, Cleveland/Columbus OH, Tempe/Tucson AZ, Rochester NY, to name some.

I was originally intending on applying for grad school but I just don't think I am up to it anymore, so I am willing to try something different, anything but teaching high school. I would like to know what I can do with my physics and chemistry knowledge and lack of relevant work experience. Private tutoring is something I'd like to do even if its only on the side.

I have had a gander at the AIP "companies hiring recent physics bachelors" page and have seen many IT/telecom companies hire physicists, but I am guessing they hire people with serious programming or lab experience, am I wrong?

What kind of jobs should I aim for to get started? I do not care about being underemployed in the beginning, I am looking for something that I do right off the bat to get settled in a place and later move on if I don't find it rewarding enough.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted