Finding the Shortest Stopping Distance for an Automobile Using Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter Azytzeen
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help with a problem involving the coefficient of kinetic friction and velocity. They are looking for an equation that does not require mass. The expert suggests using conservation of energy and provides the equation to solve for distance. The person realizes their error and thanks the expert for their help.
Azytzeen
Hello all. I am currently stuck on a problem,

"If the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 'c', what is the shortest distance in which an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes when traveling at 'v'?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80."

Notice that 'c' and 'v' are blocked out as I am not looking for people to do the problem for me, as said on the sticky. So I was wondering, what kind of equation should I use? Because I could not find one that includes velocity or others without asking for the mass. I tried to derive some, but the answers are all wrong. So please help. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Azytzeen said:
Hello all. I am currently stuck on a problem,

"If the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 'c', what is the shortest distance in which an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes when traveling at 'v'?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80."

Notice that 'c' and 'v' are blocked out as I am not looking for people to do the problem for me, as said on the sticky. So I was wondering, what kind of equation should I use? Because I could not find one that includes velocity or others without asking for the mass. I tried to derive some, but the answers are all wrong. So please help. Thanks in advance!

Use conservation of energy. Mass "m" will cancel, then solve for distance "d":
{Delta K.E.} = {Work}
(1/2)mv^2 = c(mg)d
d = (v^2)/(2cg)

~~

Last edited:
Ohh, I see where my error is now. I kept on getting 88. Thanks for helping me!

How did you get 88 (what ?),if you didn't have the value of "c"...?Shouldn't the notation be "µ"...?

Daniel.

1. What is the best equation to use for my experiment?

The best equation to use for your experiment depends on the specific variables and conditions of your experiment. It is important to carefully analyze your data and research existing equations that may be relevant to your experiment. Consult with other scientists or experts in your field for recommendations and guidance.

2. How do I know which equation is most accurate?

The accuracy of an equation can be determined by comparing its results to real-world data or experimental results. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the equation and how well it applies to your specific experiment. Consulting with other scientists and conducting thorough testing can help determine the accuracy of an equation.

3. Can I use more than one equation for my experiment?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple equations for an experiment, especially if they are relevant to different aspects or variables of the experiment. However, it is important to ensure that the equations are compatible and do not contradict each other. Using too many equations can also complicate the analysis of results.

4. Is it necessary to use a complex equation for my experiment?

Not necessarily. While some experiments may require complex equations to accurately model the data, simpler equations can also be effective in many cases. It is important to choose an equation that is appropriate for your experiment and balances accuracy with complexity.

5. How do I choose between different equations that seem to apply to my experiment?

Consider the assumptions, limitations, and accuracy of each equation, as well as how well it applies to your specific experiment. Consulting with other scientists and conducting thorough testing can also help in choosing the most suitable equation. It may also be beneficial to use multiple equations and compare their results to determine the best fit for your data.